NAD 3130, more to love?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought this amp cheap just to play around with it. I had no plans of really liking it. Yesterday I hooked it up and listened to it all day while I worked. I love the warm 3d sound I am getting from this little amp.

I popped the top and I wonder if there is anything else that can be done to the amp to bring it back into spec (assuming it needs some adjustment, maybe not). I wanted to replace the caps with nice new audiophile caps. Is there anything else that can be done that will enhance this great and cheap little amp? Oh does anyone have a service manual they can share for this amp?

Thanks

I managed to find the service manual for free after much searching. I have posted it at esnips if anyone needs it in the future.

http://rs315.rapidshare.com/files/198504749/NAD_3130.pdf

At the very least I am going to check the bias, replace the electrolytic capacitors (they are all very old now) and I would like to bypass the tone controls. If I could enable the tone control bypass via an internal switch it would be best. Perhaps replacing the crusty input jacks on the back with some nice new ones would help too.

Thank you espressogeek.... sorry that they drives me mad

I feel very angry with those folks... my wish is to enter the monitor screen, to dive in there to hold their neck inside my strong hands and make them blue!

Grrrrrrr!

The schematic is lovely...remembers me the famous 3020 or 3120 (i do not remember exaclty)..... i have assembled and sounded very good.

Do you have a picture?

Is it old alike that famous model?

regards,

Carlos

I had patience...i have downloaded... i do not tollerate them peacefully

i will criticise them forever.

thanks by the information Planet10

Finally i understood your speaker plug utility avoid treble to be cancelled with waves reflected and crashing one agains other and cancelling one each other.

A good friend, an Acoustic Engineer said so and explained me using graphics.

Is those plugs alike egg skin?... say... are they ligthweigth , non solid, having air inside?

Can this be made using metal?.... is the weigth important?... can be a magnetic metal?

This is off topic..please, send answer to:

panzertoo@yahoo.com

If you do not want to post it here.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• sonido08.jpg
    sonido08.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 285
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: I had patience...i have downloaded... i do not tollerate them peacefully

destroyer X said:
Finally i understood your speaker plug utility avoid treble to be cancelled with waves reflected and crashing one agains other and cancelling one each other.

A good friend, an Acoustic Engineer said so and explained me using graphics.

Is those plugs alike egg skin?... say... are they ligthweigth , non solid, having air inside?

Can this be made using metal?.... is the weigth important?... can be a magnetic metal?

This is off topic..

It is off-topic, but we can always split off a new thread....

My plugs are spun out of wood so they are solid -- some people say/thick the actual wood makes a difference. Non magnetic metal can be used and sometines (if designed in and tightly coupled) can be used as additional heat sink for the motor. I have seen cast platic Lowther plugs. Non-magnetic metal could be used but one might have to account for changes in the magnetic field.

dave

Eh, I sold the amp minutes ago. I have the 3020b over here and I just bought a 1020 preamp. For what I want to do I reckoned it was better to mod the preamp and then hook it to the 1020. That way I don't have to molest a 3020. That would be bad. :-(

I will have lots of room in that preamp for pretty much anything I want. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.