Nakamichi CA-5 hum/buzz and does anyone have the schematics/service manual? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Nakamichi CA-5 hum/buzz and does anyone have the schematics/service manual?

Hello everyone,

My Nak preamp has had a hum that goes up with volume control for quite some time. Frequency seems to be at 60Hz.

I checked the 24V rails and no superimposed AC is left on them, nice flat DC, so I ruled out the smoothing caps as a problem.

What ticked me off was a couple of actual grounding issues that I fixed, but that did NOT fix my hum.

I found out that if I ground the selected input pin, the hum goes away. I check with my scope and my input pins seem to pick up a light 60Hz. I guess I could check for cracks and such in pcb traces as all components seem well connected and in good shape.

Any suggestions of where to look?

I always manage to dig up a copy of schematics or service manual of most gear I own or work on, but this one, nothing! I'd really appreciate if someone with a copy could help me out

Thanks in advance!

IG
Old 3rd June 2009, 01:58 AM   #2
x-pro is offline x-pro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here is the service manual for CA-5:

http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/files/Man...AMICHI_CA5.pdf

Better use "save as" and download the file.

Cheers

Alex

Hide this!Advertise here!