Setting power amp so speakers don't blow (help a novice)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would appreciate a little schooling...
I recently upgraded our band's P.A. - pair of Nady 15 inch PS115 passive speakers 250 rms, 500 peak, and a Gemini 750 power amp.
It appears I blew the horns on the speakers almost immediately. Can someone guide me on how I can make sure I control the power amp's output?

The amp has a bunch of specs - so many watts at so many ohms. I assume since the speakers say they are 8 ohms, then that is the wattage I should refer to in the amp's specs. In parallel-mono it says the amp puts out 190 watts, stereo 175 watts, and in mono-bridged 550 watts.
So I tried all 3 settings with the amp level at about 2/3. I believe they were in parallel-mono when they blew the horns.
What exactly is happening here? Does setting the levels on the power amp affect how much wattage goes to the speakers? Does the mixer I have between the mics and the amp affect the wattage to the speakers? Given the specs, what is the ideal setup (max loudness without blowing the speakers) for my amp and mixer?
The Gemini manual says to turn to mixer to 0, turn the amp all the way up, and then adjust the mixer up. Is this safe to do?

Thanks so much for any pointers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.