2SC5200/2SA1943 Toshiba or Fairchild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will know in the next few weeks how the Fairchild devices work, or at least if they don't work. I selected the Fairchild TO-220 devices from DigiKey for the TGM amplifier. I don't need the power levels offered by the larger T03 packages. I also suspect the TO-220 packaged devices are not targeted for fakes.

From digikey they are quite reasonably priced if I remember.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I don't know which is better. They have different case choices and the Fairchilds are a little cheaper, but they're all pretty cheap anyway.

Digi-key is a good safe source for the Toshiba's. They get them directly from Toshiba, but sadly they don't carry many different devices. They also list the Fairchilds, but they never seem to have stock. I haven't looked for a while though.

..Todd

I may be mistaken but didn't Fairchild used to be Samsung? Samsung once had an excellent semi fab production, particularly small signal stuff. My experience with Fairchild's Q-fet hex type power fets is quite positive.:) I'm not as familiar with their power BJTs.

BTW, Mouser seems to have lots of Fairchild stock.

I use Fairchild FJL4215/4315 (same az 2SC5200/2SA1943). The O group is quite good. High Hfe, fast, and reliable. I have 40pairs of them, and I have no problem with them. I get them from Farnell. The only reason why I will go to use NJWx281/x302 is the size, and the price.

Sajti

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
jaycee said:

Profusion don't claim to supply the Toshiba ones, although they do link to their data sheet. From what I've heard, Profusion supply clones made by Semelab, also sold as Magnatec by Farnell and others.

Good to have that in the clear

They only mention manufactor as "other" :cannotbe:
But hard to image they would sell fakes that doesnt work at all :rolleyes:

Well I got my sound from the Fairchild devices. I like them, have no complaints. The sound I heard was really very nice indeed. Probably not scientific enough for you guys but unless there is a specific concern I would see no reason not to use them. The only downside I can see is if you don't like TO-220 packages. The power rating is lower, leads closer together, metal tab means using shoulder washers or nylon bolts (not sure what you guys think about nylon, but they're available at my local hardware store). Specifications are available from Fairchild.

The cool thing about the Fairchild devices is that they supply that range of devices as TO-264, TO-3P and then TO-220 for drivers. They also have SPICE models for all the devices that work well.

They also sell direct, and are OK with hobbyist orders, so you're guaranteed no fakes.

So, with KSA992/KSC1845, KSA1381/KSC3503, and then these babies, they have pretty much everything needed for a great power amp :) KSA1220/KSC2690 also look good as 649/669 type driver replacements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.