2SC5200/2SA1943 Toshiba or Fairchild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: what about STMicroelectronics?

Well, the circle is complete - even ST is making clones of that transistor now. Now there may be very slight sonic differnces between all of them - but in terms of basic characteristics and ruggedness, one is probably just as good as the other. If someoene wanted only a Toshiba, they could go out of their way to get it if they wanted to. The rest of us get what our distributor stocks. And with all the major players making them "My dist. doesn't stock Toshiba" won't force anyone anywhere to go get trannies from questionable sources.

I wonder if it was the industry's response to all that counterfieting going on. If there are a number of legitimate sorces instead of only one, who needs fakes form China?

jaycee said:

Profusion don't claim to supply the Toshiba ones, although they do link to their data sheet. From what I've heard, Profusion supply clones made by Semelab, also sold as Magnatec by Farnell and others.

Hi
well its true that they do not say that these parts are Toshiba on their web site describing the manufaturer as 'other'. i have used lots of these parts from them always been the real thing, if anyone still not convinced give them a call to verify.
Profusion are a very good reliable company.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jaycee,

Originally posted by jaycee

Profusion don't claim to supply the Toshiba ones, although they do link to their data sheet. From what I've heard, Profusion supply clones made by Semelab, also sold as Magnatec by Farnell and others.

If you don't ask, you don't know. I did ask and they answered that they only sell original parts. Profusion is OK for me.

I have got without any doubt good original Toshibas transistors at low cost. :)

Best regards

rephil

OnSemi MJL3281/1302 in Crest

Hi there, thought this might be a sensible place for this question.

I've got a Crest CA12 for repair which uses the old Toshiba 3281/1302. It needs a whole channels worth of devices (22). Obviously I can't use the Toshibas but I'm wondering if the OnSemi's might be a good alternative. They do a few different versions so one of them must be suitable. Comparing specs, the Cobb of the Onsemi's is higher but other than that they're equivalent or better.

Any comments?

The On-Semi version of the 3281/1302 will replace the Toshiba just fine. They are really rugged transistors. On Semi stuff is high quality, and I've not had any failures. They also make a higher-powered 4281/4302 series with more gain, and slightly more power rating.

Now about the Fairchild version of the 5200/1943............Apparently the same die is used in all of the different sizes, they are just different packages according to the datasheet.

It would be nice to get a bunch of the 50W and 80W TO-220 ones. True power transistors as drivers, without the huge size. Even as a big power amplifier, you can parallel more devices in a smaller space with TO-220.

The other advantage of powerful TO-220 would be making a small compact power amplifier, and having devices with a really High SOA.

Those are the biggest TO-220 I've ever seen. The Power devices are interesting as well, being the fact this transistor is in more packages than anyone else offers, that makes it very desirable IMO.

Imagine if On-Semi made a 3281/1302 in a TO-220 package, that would be killer.

EWorkshop1708 said:
The other advantage of powerful TO-220 would be making a small compact power amplifier, and having devices with a really High SOA.

Exactly, if you look at the TGM amplifier pcb you see it is less than 50mm wide and that includes the drivers too. I imagine some nice and compact multiple output device designs could be achieved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.