Chinese "knock off" kits from ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tmort,
No, that's where they are making their money. Most Chinese outfits are like that on Eeeekbay.

From what I have seen brought in, most of those kits are really poor quality. Anything using a chassis will be far too light for the job. Ever see components attached to the chassis with ..... hot .... glue ? ???! Yup, it was a tube amp too.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi duekfx,
I agree, it's always a good idea to ask here for experience first.
I wouldn't say that's true. Not because I don't respect this place and the people in it, but because the supply chain has finally got their act together.

To buy good parts, use the factory authorized suppliers. They can show you the path from factory to your hand. Of course, they probably will not unless the order is large and there are problems. In any event, after years of being blissfully unaware that all devices are copied, they have taken measures to safeguard the supply.

That is one reason why you often can not return parts, or have to wait for inspection. It's for all our collective good. I wonder if any fakes went up in shuttle launches?

Do you know that even ceramic filters are copied, among other mundane items. You must buy from a proper source, or be prepared to test everything and still be open for a burn.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi duekfx,

I wouldn't say that's true. Not because I don't respect this place and the people in it, but because the supply chain has finally got their act together.

To buy good parts, use the factory authorized suppliers. They can show you the path from factory to your hand. Of course, they probably will not unless the order is large and there are problems. In any event, after years of being blissfully unaware that all devices are copied, they have taken measures to safeguard the supply.

That is one reason why you often can not return parts, or have to wait for inspection. It's for all our collective good. I wonder if any fakes went up in shuttle launches?

Do you know that even ceramic filters are copied, among other mundane items. You must buy from a proper source, or be prepared to test everything and still be open for a burn.

-Chris

What I meant was there are a couple of really honest people on ebay. Asking around won't hurt anyone. There are a few confirmed kits already which are 100% reliable. Even buying components yourself from local stores isn't better either, and getting parts directly from on-semi/fairchild is sometimes not possible since they mostly stock a few samples (they open a 5k-pack or whatever) for the end users. Buying is the same as asking for samples since the stock is the same. Everything else goes to stores. Look at poor Jan Dupont, he's getting so many mails, because DIY-ers blew his amp because of fake trannies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.