Paralleling or Cascading Power Supply Filter capacitors question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,

My integrated amplifier came stock with (2) 6,800uf filter caps in the power supply. I have added (2) 22,000uf Cerafine caps to the 6,8000uf for a total of 28,800uf per rail.

I like the added base tightness and depth that I now hear.

I am looking at upgrading the original 6,800uf caps to better such as 'Elna for Audio' or Nichicon Gold.

I have heard that when cascading caps that the smaller cap should be no more than 10% the size of the larger cap.

If this holds true, will I receive even better performance from my amp if I pitch the 6,800uf caps and replace them with 2,200uf?

If no gain is to be had by pitching the 6,800uf size for 2,200uf , might some benefit be had by replacing the 6,800uf with smaller versions totalling 6,800uf?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping to speed up the pace of the amp a little.

Thanks

KevinLee:)

If you added 22,000u Cerafines you might think about removing 6,800 caps alltogether if they are not close in quality to Cerafines. I don't think the improvement be obtained with different values, but rather the quality of caps. Try disconnecting old caps and observe the difference, then act accordingly. Further improvement might be done by adding quality film caps (even 1U can make a difference) or BG type N caps. I remeber you bought some Os Cons, try them;)

Thanks for the info Peter.

I will try removing the 6,800uf caps all together.

If I like the sound I may add good quality 2uf film cap.

I have replaced my bridge with (4) 30 amp Fairchild 'stealth' diodes and I do like the sound of the new bridge.

I will let you know how it sounds when I make the changes.

Thanks

KevinLee:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.