Introduction and Help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this site and to electronics. I've just completed my first project - a headphone amp with regulated power supply. It sounds great and cost well under $100. Yee haa!

Some guys might say I have all the gear but no idea and they're probably not far off, but I'm keen to learn. Please bear with me if I make some faux pas or ask dumb questions and if I sound argumentative at all, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of something.

I love music, hence my love for building speakers and subsequent interest in electronics!

I recently acquired a Rotel RB1080 (Monster) Power amp that is not working. Nothing smells or looks burnt and it powers up fine, but when I try to play something thru it, one channel is silent and the other one makes strange pops and clicking noises instead of music.

I don't know how to test components but I do have a meter (and a desire to learn!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marco.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
While I can't really help troubleshoot and diagnose, I will suggest that you not hook the amp up to any decent speakers until you know it's working properly. Any DC offset on the amp's output will burn out your speaker's voice coil(s).

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.