Any ideas for +12v regulator ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a regulator idea, voltage input is 100 volts, need
12v out, 1 ampere. Preferably not taking up much printed
circuit board space.

Most of the common regulators I find have only 30v input
capability.

The regulator will power some op-amps and comparitors
for amplifier protection circuits and also drive a +12v relay.

I probably don't really need 1 ampere, but just in case.

Got any clues?

The only thing that comes to mind is a zener/resistor/transistor
regulator...

12 V

You need a few resistors (maybe 1W) for a divider network, get it to 40 V., or some such.
I would get a wall-wart for that relay! seriously!
You have no need for the interference it would cause. That way your current will be maybe 40 ma, and the regulation will be a drop kick. 90 V is too far to drop at 1 amp. A 9V wart, since they usually have overvoltage, will probably work too!

hello,

id either go with a small switching supply (the circuit isnt actually in the signal chain if its like most circuit protectors, so having a non-audiophile power supply shouldnt be too big of a deal), or i remember that theres a way to use lm317's to lower any voltage regardless of the input, but you can only have a difference of up to 35 volts between in and out. to get 100 to 12, you could use 3 or 4 of those in series. check a 317 datasheet to find how. a few opamps and a relay probably wont draw more than 100 ma, so the heat should be managable. good luck on the project.

-chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.