PS Audio Linear Control Center and Phono III

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I got this preamp yesterday and the phono stage totally outshined my Cambridge Audio 540P phono pre.

As for the Linear control center, well it's got issues. After a thorough clean-out with DeOxit on the pot's and controls, it has a low background hum (about 60Hz I guess).

Now I would automatically suspect the filter cap's but the transformer (EI core) is vibrating a bit. I think this is a part of my issue. I cannot tighten it though since it appears to be permanently bonded to the bottom of the pre's case.

Does anyone know where I should start with this? I have no prints or schematics on it.

Have a look at the supply rails with a scope. With the input shorted try to establish at what stage does the hum become visible. And also make sure there is no dc at output.

If you don't have a scope you will need to do some thinking or a lot of trial and error. Pictures?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.