Cyrus III+PSX-R problem. Anyone knows?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks.

Few months ago i faced a strange problem with my Mission Cyrus III plus PSX-R integrated amp.

Once upon a time, during the end of last january, i pressed the front power button of the cyrus in order to start listening to music. At that time the source (cd player) was not yet selected and no signal from the player which was at stand by position. When i pressed the cd selector button in front, i heard a small noise from the speakers kike a husshhh, which lasted for 3-4 seconds. After that the red led on the front panel of cyrus started blinking and thats all...I closed and opened the amp to see if anything changed but nothing happened. The chassis was not hot. When i tried to disconnect the cable wires and start the cyrus, it seemed to start (the selector led was green and the red led didnt flash, so it seemed that the amp was running normally but without load of course, so it didnt matter. Every time that the speakers were connected, regardless the existence of input signal or source selected, the problem exists. The red led is flashing which according to Cyrus means a hardware problem.
I dont now what to do. The company (Cyrus) at the mpment dont have a representative in my country (Greece).
I also have to mention that my amp set was purchased at the end of 1995 and has played for not so many hours since then. When the amp was one year old, i faced a similar/if not same, problem. At that time (1996-97) Cyrus which was part of Mission Electronics had a representative in Greece. I sent the amp to them and they told me they were unable to fix, so they sent it to UK factory for service. Once arrived serviced back in greece rhey told me that mission staff have changed a pcb board and that was all. At that time (1997) i paid an amount aquivalent to around 100 euros for repair.
I would be very gratefull if somebody could help/advice.

A lot of the parts are SMD (surface mount) and this makes it hard for the average DIY'er to work on.

Are you wanting to fix the amp yourself? Or are you wanting advice about where to have it repaired? Have you emailed Cyrus in the UK for a quote?

It's rather telling that Cyrus replaced a whole circuit board rather than repair it.

Sonusthree said:
A lot of the parts are SMD (surface mount) and this makes it hard for the average DIY'er to work on.

Are you wanting to fix the amp yourself? Or are you wanting advice about where to have it repaired? Have you emailed Cyrus in the UK for a quote?

It's rather telling that Cyrus replaced a whole circuit board rather than repair it.

I just want some advice about possible solutions to the problem in terms of which part may be responsible for that. Thought that between us are some Cyrus users/fans that would probably had already a similar problem with their Cyrus amps, so somebody could help a little bit.
I m a diy man but the case with my post was not to find solutions about fixing the problem myself. Just a more specific piece of advice.
Thank you for your understanding.
Lazaros

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.