NTE transistors-->> Backwards from original case layout!! What the heck! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2009, 02:28 AM   #1
777funk is offline 777funk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default NTE transistors-->> Backwards from original case layout!! What the heck!

I just fixed my old pioneer stereo (2 bad power transistors, 1 emitter Resistor and 1 driver bad).

Anyways, I bought an NTE part number match replacement for the driver. I wired it all up and the fixed channel sounded like it had really bad distortion. Anyways, I figured it was the driver so I put the pioneer amp back on the bench and diode tested across the driver. I measured the old one and figured out that it was PNP. The NTE replacement was also PNP. However the shape of the transistor (your typical D shape)D was backwards according to the diode test from the original orientation that the original pioneer transistor had. But that's the way the diode test showed it was right in comparison to the good transistor on the other side.

Long story short, I turned the transistor backward from how Pioneer had it and perfect. It works! What's the deal with NTE? Can't they make the case direction the same as the original part?

Is this normal for NTE? If so I will avoid them. If I buy a replacement part, I want it to be just like the original.
Old 10th May 2009, 02:49 AM   #2
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

NTE sub parts are well known to be junk. Forget about them.

Hide this!Advertise here!