A different Class A Power Amp - Current Feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the beginnings of a current feedback Class A power amp. It is very simple but does simulate well. Currently it can deliver 90 V P-P (1v rms input) into 8 ohms with one pair of output devices as shown/drawn. No signal power in the output devices is very high. No signal output current is 5.5 Amps. With 50 volt supplies....over 500 watts in those 2 device. Will have to add more devices to spread out the static power. It's flat from DC to over 3 Mhz and the phase response is near 0 degrees to over 1 Mhz. I'd bet the measured frequency response is better than many audio amps out there. No signal DC out is 350 millivolts. A bit high, I think. Need better matched input devices. The emitter resistors in the outputs are not needed. I have them there just to measure output current. The input is low impedance and will be difficult to drive. Maybe needs a buffer/op-amp. Since it is Class A, there is no crossover distortion possible. Simulates clean but doesn't like lower load resistances. This design was stolen from an Analog Devices current feedback op-amp and scaled up using discrete SMT devices as shown. No, I will not be building it soon. Want to work with it in simulation and really understand it.

Comments??
What is a reasonable target for the no signal DC output voltage on a power amp??
Bill

I suspect a mismatch between Q3 and Q2. Is there any way you can measure hfe's and match them? Alternatively, reduce the impedance of the feedback loop. The feedback is on the emitters of Q3 & 2, which could be carrying 100mA. Any mismatch here will put on offset on R1.

Alternatively, you could make I1 or I2 adjustable and trim it out.

I must admit to not being familiar with this circuit, so may be off beam here, but either idea is worth a try.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.