Cracking/Static in Pre-Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope it isn't a problem posting this type of question here, I just would much rather fix this myself than send it off to Sony. So far I am speculating that my problem is in the RCA input's Pre-Amp. This is my problem.

Sony STR-DE698. I have a crackling sound in the audio in both speakers on all speaker output channels AND in the headphones. I have tried multiple sources and RCA cables (just finished buying a new one). I have connected my headphones directly to my PC (which is the main audio source through RCA) and there was no crackling. I also ramped up the volume pretty good with the radio selected and there was no crackling. This leaves me to believe the problem isn't with my cables, source, or main power amplifier. My only conclusion is that it could be the pre-amp, but as to what the specific problem is I am not sure. I was hoping someone may have seen problems like this before and if there are some specific components worth taking a deeper look into. I am about to crack the case open and take a look. If I see any obvious signs of failure I'll post a reply.

Oh, and to better describe the sound. Sometimes the sound will be good for a few minutes or maybe a minute, than the crackling comes in, mainly mixing with some of the bass or lower frequency voices. And sometimes when it is really feeling freaky the sound will completely go static and have a very low volume tinny sound. Like all the bass hits will be replaced with a ting ting kinda thing.

Oh, and to better describe the sound. Sometimes the sound will be good for a few minutes or maybe a minute, than the crackling comes in, mainly mixing with some of the bass or lower frequency voices. And sometimes when it is really feeling freaky the sound will completely go static and have a very low volume tinny sound. Like all the bass hits will be replaced with a ting ting kinda thing.

Could be a bad solder joint.............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.