Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

tube-like SS power amp
tube-like SS power amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2009, 11:28 PM   #41
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

tube-like SS power amp
Quote:
Originally posted by AKSA
[B] Build such an amplifier, and do the AB testing. /B]
I'm trying ! - but it's frustratingly slow. Parts on back order, no acetone to clean the pcb off with, wife wants the deck finished first...

But I'll build the TGM 1.0 with the 'fudged front end' and I'll compare it with my Bryston ultra-low distortion box.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 12th April 2009, 11:32 PM   #42
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

tube-like SS power amp
This reminds me of my other hobby. Photography. You'd be surprised how many people think they want a lens and camera that captures what they see. But eventually they discover that they don't see what's really there. Their eyes & brain see what they want to see. So in the end they want different colours than appeared in nature, they want deeper blues, richer greens. They want lenses that show nice blurred out of focus highlights. I don't see why audio is any different. There will be people who prize accuracy (professional users for sure) and those who don't but will pay a small fortune for what they like
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 12th April 2009, 11:56 PM   #43
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigun
This reminds me of my other hobby. Photography. You'd be surprised how many people think they want a lens and camera that captures what they see. But eventually they discover that they don't see what's really there. Their eyes & brain see what they want to see. So in the end they want different colours than appeared in nature, they want deeper blues, richer greens. They want lenses that show nice blurred out of focus highlights. I don't see why audio is any different. There will be people who prize accuracy (professional users for sure) and those who don't but will pay a small fortune for what they like

Its also very similar to electric guitar sounds.
Guitarists will pay hundreds of pounds for effects boxes to totally distort the sound.
I use a Zoom 707 effects box and it is amazing.

While purists look for amps with 0.0001 % distortion guitarists are possibly running upto 100% distortion !

Wah wah, flanger, phaser, echo etc etc all distort heavily but sound great.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:38 AM   #44
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by unclejed613

you can get just as much distortion from OVERbiasing as from UNDERbiasing the output devices, which is why it's best to set the bias with a distortion analyzer. same thing goes for tubes.

More bias is always better for tubes (within reason) and they do not suffer gm doubling distortion. Also, under biasing just about any output stage (valve or SS) if FAR more detrimental that over biasing it.

Tube power output stages and SS power output stages are apples and oranges. IMHO you cannot make a typical class B SS power amplifier sound like a typical (audibly distorting) valve amplifier just by compromising the stages preceding the power output stage – this only has potential to makes things worse.

Incidentally, here is a valve amp I’m currently getting ready (half the caps currently replaced). Push pull EL84 and gobs of global negative feedback. This one, believe it or not, “sounds” just like a well designed, low THD solid state amp.

Cheers,
Glen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stereo20.jpg (80.6 KB, 308 views)
Old 13th April 2009, 02:53 AM   #45
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

The Carver-Stereophile Challenge is always good to toss in to these discussions - not that it appears anyone actually changes their beliefs on tubes vs solid state in the face of mere evidence

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...392#post152392
Old 13th April 2009, 10:24 AM   #46
JLH69 is offline JLH69  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

JLH describes his amp as comparable to a Williamson:-

www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/jlh1969.pdf

I've never heard a Williamson, so can't comment.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:02 PM   #47
destroyer X is offline destroyer X  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default I have listened the Williamson...and really seems

alike..but this was made using memory..to be sure i have to play both amplifiers same time with same souce of music playing and switch speakers after adjust them to the same power.

Not easy to do now a days.

regards,

Carlos
Old 13th April 2009, 12:06 PM   #48
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

The Williamson is a low THD design that uses lots of negative feedback. Designs of its kind are shunned by many modern day tube devotees due the allegedly boring, solid-state-like sound.

It took some time for solid state designs to better its performance.

Open loop SET amps with >10% THD are all the rage in tube land.

tube-like SS power ampHide this!Advertise here!