Power Supply problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I'm just trying to build my first amp and I've tracked down all the parts for the Leach SuperAmp. The only problem is the power supply. From what ive noticed, a high powered one is very hard to find. I know Victoria magnetics (i think thats the name) builds them, but digikey or arrow (the suppliers i have found most of my parts from already) do not supply. Does it turn out that i have to specail order through Victoria (more shipping and handeling fees donated, besides arrow and digikey)? Don't get me wrong, i love the services shipping/handeling offers, but there is only so much i would like to donate.

Anyone know any alternate suppliers in western Canada who would have a 93V 6-8A transformer.

Another question (excuse my ignorange): Are there any other ways of obtaining this kind of power through different setups (other than expensive transformers)?

Don't be afraid to ICQ or MSN me about this topic, i'm rarely offline.

Hey thanks allot man,

So this is what i could finnaly get together. I poked around our local buy and sell and found a Variac that put out 10 Amps -120V. So I now think it will be possible to get the thing to work reguardless of what the voltage is.

A nice retired electrician sold it too me for 40 CDN, allong with a bridge rectifier good to 230V and a few fuse holders. A suber nice deal. :)

So I will hopefully go to the lab next week and start to plunk around with some designs.

Oh BTW: I really like your Leach amp you have... you did an excellent job, especially the heat sinks (what rating are they by the way? did you go with the reccomended 0.5C/W?) I'm thinking of putting mine in a plexiglass chassis (i think you should have too, especially with your symmetry).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.