Mcintosh Solid State Amplifier Substitute Parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for a cross-reference of parts to replace the codified parts in the mac parts lists - I've seen a number of different parts suggested but the best would be to locate a cross-ref

have an MC-2105 which suddenly developed a pattern of producing lots of wide-band static and sometimes "thunder" - in fact, I discovered the problem when I thought I was hearing a thunder-storm - turned out to be the amp. One of the power transistors in the left channel was getting V E R Y hot. Figured it could be the bias resistor on the emitter of Q117

The amp is pretty easy to work on, that is disassemble and reassemble - after replacing the "bias" resistor and reassemby I noticed smoke and a popping sound - I had shorted the bias resistor against the metallic standoff - a foolish mistake which may have taken out all the xistors on the left side sitting on the -35V rail - fuses are a great invention!

any info gratefully accepted and appreciated

Grant

Grant,

I just finished a MC2200 with parts from McIntosh, just call them and they will tell you what the crosses are. Some of the parts are or were common. The drivers are MJ15018/19 or MJ15020/21, the outputs are MJ15003/4. The drivers came from McIntosh and the outputs came from Mouser. According to the parts department no testing, grading, or matching is done.
The parts you need are different but may be common, call McIntosh and ask. They will need the original Mc numbers though, since you know what Q117 is I assume you have the service manual. I have one if you need some info.

Craig

Craig,

thanks a lot for the reply and the advice - I'll give mac a call to get the other cross-references. When the 2105 was working sounded great driving the ML-1s.

Do have the schematic and was able to get a xref from a local friend but it may be a pain for mac to give the subs for a lot of parts - also have a C-24 to rehabilitate.

all the best, Grant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.