first project for Novice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, i have been advised to post in this forum for help

I am pretty much a novice and i am looking to start my first project. I have completed an ONC in electronics, so i know the basics but i still have a lot to learn.

Where to start?

I have found a site that sells PCB's ready to go. avondaleaudio.com I was thinking this could be a good way to start as my first project. This is ideal for me, as i do not have access to the equipment to make my own boards anymore.

Has anyone dealt with this company before?

Has anyone got any advice on any other projects i could start with?

Cheers

Dan

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
The Leach Low TIM amp is a good starter project. It's a well-respected amp, and there is tons of information and help available. It's been a few years for me, but he may still be selling his boards. You would have to source your own components. But that's half the fun.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/

Chip amps are probably the simplest. Peter Daniel has some VERY nice PCB's available for building one, and I'm sure there are other good ones, though I'm only familiar with Peter's. Find him in the Market place section too.

Rod Elliot sells PCB's for his audio projects. There's lots of good stuff there to choose from. http://sound.westhost.com/

There may also be group-buy PCBs being offered in the Marketplace section of this forum. Best to investigate the level of support you need first though, depending on what is being offered.

If you want to make your own PCBs, there are lots of *great* amplifier projects right here. Ask around when you're ready for that.

Sorry, I have no experience with full kits, or the company you mentioned. I'm not sure if Hugh Dean (Aspen Amplifiers) is still selling kits for his AKSA or LifeForce amplifiers, but if he is, you would have a tough time finding a better amplifier (IMHO).

Good luck.

..Todd

byJyks -Krill - The little amp that might...
That is a good amp OPS, but it is picky (balance/CCS's , etc)
Not pluggin' anyones amps , but a simple "self" "blameless"
is the best for a first amp.

Here is a "universal" amp.. you can make a DX/ASKA or the
classic blameless from the board. get some hardware store
muriatic acid and (H)peroxide with a laser printer + 6$ 4X6
PCB and all is done.

http://71.203.202.56/pdf1/Electronics/Projects/Audio_amp/Frugalamp/FA1_AB_4IN1_FULL.pdf

what is nice about this amp is that 50% of all the amps on this forum are based on it ,so you will find mega support for
this topology. Soooo easy ,it will ALWAYS work. No :hot: :hot:
Similar amps are the quasi...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43331
It uses FET's (more power).
OS

Hi,

Build a Chip-amp based on LM3886 or LM3875, etc once you gain some confidence with this exercise and bored with the sound, then

Go for Naim Amp kit, it sounds very good(reported by those you had build them), you can get it from Ebay relatively cheap. You can use the components from your Chipamp project like Power supply, casing, connectors, also you can make comparisons between these 2 amps.

Cheers happy building.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I have been looking at the various projects on here including the krill.

The DX also looks like a good place to start. Does anyone know how many channels the PSU can support? will it support 2/4 channels? or will i require multiple PSU's?

also can somebody explain all the different circuits required to incorporate the amp into my current system?

e.g. how does the dvd/c.d. player communicate with the amp? Do i need a fibre optic reciever/DAC?

If this is your first project, go with building a chipamp. They have a low parts count and much less potential for problems.

Your CD/DVD "communicates" with the amp via a regular audio output. If you wanted to use optical (S/PDIF) you would need a DAC with an appropriate reciever. This is more complex.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.