arcam alpha 8 toroidal upgrade ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all,to start with i am quiet a beginner at all this electronics stuff,i have replace toroidals in my other amps and replaced caps,but now i would like to upgrade the output in a arcam alpha 8 power amp,i have some toroidals here,but i know that vacs are alot higher ,is there away of reducing the vacs on this toroidal i have,and or what would it do??the vacs on the standard part is 25-0-25,the one i have is 80-0-80,so a big difference ?can any one there help with this..

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but it's not easy to substitute a higher voltage transformer into a device designed for a lower voltage for what should be obvious reasons. In order to do that you would have to re-wind the transformer scondary windings for a lower output voltage, or add voltage regulation to the power supply. Also, the substitute transformer would have to be physically much larger to be able to deliver the necessary current at the higher voltage output, it probably won't fit inside the chassis.

Let us know what you want to achieve, then you will get better assistance.

Cheers.

It's not really feasible. You would have to unwind the toroid's secondaries to reduce the voltage. If you do this you're not going to be making full use of the core without doubling the existing secondary winding in order to carry more current.

Voltage regulation also isn't feasible. You would have too much heat from the regulator to deal with, and you would probably strangle the amplifiers power supply to the point where it would sound dreadful.

The Alpha 8 isnt the best to do this with anyway. The design of the amp is not suited to high power due to the IRF540 mosfets it uses, and the small heatsinking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.