How are NTE Semiconductors from a quality standpoint? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2009, 06:56 AM   #1
OMNIFEX is offline OMNIFEX  Jamaica
diyAudio Member

Question How are NTE Semiconductors from a quality standpoint?

Hi.

Upon upgrading the electrolytic capacitors in one of my CS 800s I noticed one channel offers a mixture of semiconductors. One of the brands stamped on the transistor is NTE.

Are these good semiconductors? I am so accustomed to seeing Motorola, RCA and, Toshiba I am curious were do NTE stand among the more popular brands.

There website can be found here http://www.nteinc.com/

Cheers!
Old 27th March 2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

Depends on the part. I can only comment on output transistors, avoid big time, especially those they claim are replacements for one or other japanese type. They do not match the power handling capabality of the originals nor other performance specs although nte will claim that they do and Ive repaired amps that were oscilating with nte replacement parts but not with originals or substitutes of originals or substituting with parts from another manufacturer. Crack one transitor open, and youll see the problem. Maybe it was a matter of luck on a certain amp.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:36 AM   #3
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

If you got an NTE388 that actually is an honest-to-God Motorola 15024, or an NTE284 that is an honest 2SD424, you're probabaly ok in a CS800. The older they are, the more likely. Back when, that's what you actually got - but not necessarily anymore. With anything newer than late 80's I'd be suspicious of them being fakes or some ISC garbage.

One of the problems that has always been around since the beginning, however, is the claim that these things will "replace" the higher fT Toshiba and Sanken types. No way. Many times you ended up with an oscillating amp or blown drivers unless they amp would have worked with a 4 MHz type to begin with.

And one more thing - service techs who use NTE/ECG have a nasty habit of replacing only the ones that blew. You shouls aways replace an entire parallel bank together with the same parts.
Old 28th March 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you gentlemen.

The semiconductors are indeed NTE 388 in addition to following the dodgy workmanship of replacing only the faulty transistors. One channel offers a mixture of Motorola, NTE and, RCA transistors.

Cheers!
Old 28th March 2009, 11:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default amplifiers are like

horse cars ....with many horses .....
you cannot use donkey in the chain ..... you cannot use old or other horse in the chain ....

somewhere i recall reading that in the past in a horse car with 4 horses for example the used to have the mail horses upfront and the female in the back ( eventhough all of them selected from the same brand age and characteristics ) so while runing the male could not smell the female and get disorientated by that ....

so get only mail or only female transistors and you are done !!!!
ha ha ha
Old 28th March 2009, 12:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nice one!

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!