Adcom transformer for Leach Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a dead Adcom GFA 545-ii amplifier. The transformer seems fine and I am wondering if this could be used for a Leach amp (ver4.5 board)

The DC immediately after the rectifier reads +/- 56.5 volt and the the AC at the output of the transformer reads 41.6 volts.

In the Leach article, the recommendation is for a 80 VCT at 4 or 5 amps.

My question: Is this transformer worth using? I don't know what its VAC is? I thought the Adcom was at 400 VAC or so.

Thanks

Jaycee, Thanks for responding.

Yes, I understand that 80 VCT is 40-0-40 (80=2*40). I also understand that 40 *1.1414 = 56, for the rail voltage (approximately). I measured the values and reported them since a search of the threads indicated some folks had provided incorrect numbers. Anyhow ...

So let me re-phrase my question: Does anyone know the VA rating for the transformer on an Adcom 545ii. I am shooting for at least 400 or so for my Leach project (ver4.5 boards).

Thanks

Well, I am one step closer to figuring out the VA on the Adcom 545 transformer, I think.

According to specs, the Adcom 545 is 100 watt into 8 ohm and 150 watt into 4 ohm. So it does NOT double.

Does this usually indicate the transformer does not have a "generous" VA? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

WithTarragon said:
Well, I am one step closer to figuring out the VA on the Adcom 545 transformer, I think.

According to specs, the Adcom 545 is 100 watt into 8 ohm and 150 watt into 4 ohm. So it does NOT double.

Does this usually indicate the transformer does not have a "generous" VA? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

Here's another data point - 545 back panel says do not exceed 600W.
My guess would be closer to calling it 500VA with derating. Seems it should work perfectly for the leach amp if it has similar class AB efficiency to the Adcoms. I wouldn't get too hung up on VA numbers unless you plan on driving really low impedance speakers (or bridging outputs) hard for long periods (ie pro use).

edit> the ouput power rating is not yet at clipping so it's not too easy to use those number for VA calcs. but it gives good info on the XFRMR regulation!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.