Vintage Brute-70 (40411) clone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2009, 11:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage Brute-70 (40411) clone

All,

Picked up a heavy black box in a garage sale. It did look like an audio amp and after googling a bit on 'power amplifier 40411' (lots of references to the Tigersaurus found), it turns out to be a european clone of the Brute 70 amplifier as described by E.G. Louis in Popular Electronics, February 1967:

http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/Popular...PE_Feb1967.htm

I wonder whether it makes sense to bring it back to life. At least one of the rectifier diodes have died and the 40411 output transistors might have given up, too.

The only documentation is a tiny schematic where a few components are added by hand, presumably to make it more stable (see attachments). The schematic looks like it comes straight from an Application Note, presumably from RCA. The PE article mentions Data Bulletin ATC-408, but I have been unable to find that one. Any pointer appreciated.

Yes, the box is rather european with it's mains voltage selector (from 110 to 245) and DIN input connector.

BRs,

Jacques
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brute70-3.jpg (58.6 KB, 794 views)
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Some pictures of the box:

http://users.telenet.be/jad/brute70-1.jpg

http://users.telenet.be/jad/brute70-2.jpg
Old 23rd March 2009, 03:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default use the harware ....

and bulit inside P3a from esp a DX amp from carlos or anything else close .....

the original circuit is almost nothing compaired to the above
Old 24th March 2009, 12:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default RCA Application Note/ Data Bulletin ATC-408

No, I wasn't expecting Nirvana from this unit, but I was just curious about it's origins. Bringing it back to life shouldn't be too expensive, it turns out that one of the big 4700 uF capacitors was short-circuited (leaked), probably caused the faulty rectifier.

It is more the experience of "how does it sound" I'm after, so I try to put it back in reasonable state, but I'm less interested if it's going to blow a few decent tweeters because it oscillates all over the place :-) That's why I was asking if anyone has the RCA Application Note.

Of course, it has a hefty mains transformer (2 x 30 V AC secondary) and a solid chassis. After I have heard it (and possibly blow a tweeter or two,) I will very likely consider recycling it for a Destroyer X or similar.

Cheers,

Jacques
Old 24th March 2009, 03:21 PM   #5
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: RCA Application Note/ Data Bulletin ATC-408

Quote:
Originally posted by jacques54

It is more the experience of "how does it sound" I'm after, so I try to put it back in reasonable state, but I'm less interested if it's going to blow a few decent tweeters because it oscillates all over the place :-) That's why I was asking if anyone has the RCA Application Note.
Cheers,

Jacques
If it still has the 40411's you may very well blow tweeters if you go 'blasting' it. Probbaly won't oscillate at normal signal levels, but very well could when clipping. Those old RCA outputs had issues with sticking and common mode conduction - especially the "PNP" side.
Old 13th September 2011, 02:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is absolutely sure a Carad AAS140 amplifier!
Carad was a Belgium high end audio manufacter till the early 70's.
I have used these amplifiers some 40 years ago - it was in those days the defacto standard DJ amp.
Should have somewhere one, but mine is not so clean as the one on the pictures.
You should not canibalize it - it's a piece of electronic archeology
Old 13th September 2011, 09:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Victor View Post
This is absolutely sure a Carad AAS140 amplifier!
Carad was a Belgium high end audio manufacter till the early 70's.
I have used these amplifiers some 40 years ago - it was in those days the defacto standard DJ amp.
Should have somewhere one, but mine is not so clean as the one on the pictures.
You should not canibalize it - it's a piece of electronic archeology
Thank you for this advice. Can you post an originale broshure from Carad's AAS140 ??
I can't open the URL
http://www.gloeidraad.nl/radioforum/index.php?id=5880

I like such circuits, because until now nobody was able, me to prove, that a modern amplifier circuit blown away clearly this old topology as showed here (from the audible view, not from the view of THD-values), if both topologies are working on a power supply of the same quality.
And the reason therefore is clear for me in the meantime:
Independend of the efforts and complexity by the "front-end" - by idle currents arround 20-50mA through the output stage there is always a limit by the maximum achievable audible sonic quality causes complex THD character. Only by Class-A the acoustical enhancement between an ordinary and a nearly perfect front-end is audible.
By post #13 about
Anybody have scan of AN-483B (Motorola)?
you will find a similar topology - the power amplifier project "Black Devil" (from German's vintage magazine "ELRAD").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40411.jpg (23.3 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpeg 40411 RCA.jpeg (7.0 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg 40411-RCA_sml.jpg (11.5 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 13th September 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 3rd October 2011, 07:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, yes, it's an AAS140 because that's what is printed on the back cover... I only wanted to reach a copy of the application note that Carad was using to implement an amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
Thank you for this advice. Can you post an originale broshure from Carad's AAS140 ??
I can't open the URL
Nederlands Forum over Oude Radio's - Artikel over Carad AAS26/PPC27 buizenversterker?
This URL points to a question about the combination Carad PPC27/AAS26, a tube pre/power amplifier from between 1961 - 1967. That's a circlotron circuit with EL84 (6BQ5), 2 x 12W RMS.

The only brochure I have seen of an AAS140 shows a small photograph where you see even less than on these photos. The characteristics state 2 x 70W RMS into 8 ohms, but I'll have to look up my scans in order to show this and to tell more...

BRs,

Jacques
Old 5th March 2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Leadvox is offline Leadvox  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Leadvox Send a message via MSN to Leadvox Send a message via Yahoo to Leadvox
The best solid satate amplifier.
Old 6th March 2014, 07:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]
[...] The only brochure I have seen of an AAS140 shows a small photograph where you see even less than on these photos. The characteristics state 2 x 70W RMS into 8 ohms [...]

[\QUOTE]

Here is the page and the (small) description at the bottom right.

The page shows more interesting things IMHO, like the "Pro Arte" radiogram with a Thorens TD124. There are also "Louis XIII" and "Louis XV" television sets, from way before the French revolution, I'd think
:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969_pg2.jpg (785.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Carad_AAS140_MPPS65.jpg (50.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by jacques54; 6th March 2014 at 07:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!