On board effects to a guitar? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2003, 03:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default On board effects to a guitar?

Just something to ponder...

I'm looking for ideas to adding effects to my guitar. I want to see if I can build something and put it in the guitar and just control the effect with switch and a pot.

I found something I want to try, it is like the Danelectro guitars. Everything is right there with a flick of the switch. I attached two pictures.

Just looking for ideas, I'm still learning how to read schematics so bear with me.

If anyone can help that would be great!

Thanks,
Newpaltzwonder
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg innuendo_controls.jpeg (17.1 KB, 159 views)
Old 21st April 2003, 03:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is another picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg input.jpeg (17.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 22nd April 2003, 05:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here's a good thread. In terms of a practical choice, an onboard fuzz is a good choice.

looking to make simple distortion pedal

If ya wanna get wacky, you can try an envelope follower circuit, or "auto-wah" in the trade. Just keep adding knobs until you need a bigger pickguard )
Old 22nd April 2003, 06:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks a lot.

my humbucker stopped working so while I was replacing it, I started thinking about adding effects.

Newpaltzwonder
Old 22nd April 2003, 01:13 PM   #5
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Distortion is the easiest to add. Schematics of everything else are available, check amptone www.amptone.com or look on Google. I also have a huge collection of effect schematics so drop me a line if you need schema.

I still prefer the floor pedal as it seems to be quicker while playing, prevent me from hitting the wrong knob (sometimes - I do it too often anyway)...
Old 22nd April 2003, 05:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah, you hear that comment a lot that floor pedals are always better than built-in effects.

As for unleashing wilder sounds out of a given guitar, what seems to always work is to just open up what's already there, such as adding switches for new pickup/phase combinations, wiring the pickups as stereo, etc.

One thing I'd like to try but never got around to is wiring a stereo jack up for different pickups, but with a switch so that a mono patch cord would also work.
Old 22nd April 2003, 07:47 PM   #7
Tuukka is offline Tuukka  Finland
diyAudio Member

I took my bass and added a cheap little piezo buzzer underneath the bridge and a separate output jack for it as well. The piezo picks up body resonances and little details from the strings you normally wouldn't with a standard coil pickup and so has a very distinct sound.

I connected some effects just to the piezo and ran both this signal and the one from the standard coil pickup into my amp. It allowed for some very fun sounds. I've yet to try it on a electric guitar but I can imagine that the results could be interesting...

Hide this!Advertise here!