PCB Layout for Hiraga Le Classe A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, I found this link some time ago, and the Hiraga Classé is a known construction for quite some time now...

A few months ago I promised a friend of mine to help him with a Class A project, -- some 10-20Watts, and this is one of the possible solutions ( along with JLH ),. However, some of the transistors here are obsolete, and hard to find...
Has anyone seen a replacement list...??

Hi Ralph,

due to some rest from work I had time to read more posts in this forum.
In the past I have build JLH from Fig. 2 of Geoff's webpage, as well as Hiraga Le Monstre and 20/30W. All three designs sounds very musically. In my systems I can not define any significant differences in sound reproduction, thus I'm very happy with such designs.
Regarding Hiraga PCB layout and Transistors you can address you at "La Maison de L'Audiophile" a Paris,
Phone: +33 1 40331133, they have all transistors (matched pairs) on stock to acceptable costs.

Rgds

GKU

Stabbist,

The PSU actually used in my Hiraga Le Monstre is a regulated version, originally developed for the Kaneda 50W due to very good experiences made in the Hiraga Class A 20W mono version.

This version subjectively provide smoother and more detailed heights in my active LS-system driving the Technics 10TH800 tweeter.

Attached please find the schematics.

Rgds

GKU

Attachments

• reg. pow.supply hiraga 30w.zip
    8 KB · Views: 388
Hi there,

Regarding transistor substitutes for the 'le classe A', 2sd718 and 2sb688 may be used for the power transistors. The small signal transistors should pose no problem. Alternatively the 2n3055/mj2955 may be used for the power transistors along with bd139/140 instead of the sa872/sc1775. this last one is a lesser option though.

One further remark concerning some of the caps. The original schematic has some frequency compensation caps. If you can do without them, do so. if you need them, try experimenting with the 2200pf cap in the feedback path. styroflex is not recommendable in my experience but that's just mho.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Joris

Hy,

one additional statement to the remarks of Jazz.

I agree, the power transistors are 2SD718 and 2SB 688.
The small signal transistors as 2SA872 A and 2SC1775 A should not be replaced based on my experience at least not with BD139/140. But very important, all transistors should be carefully matched pairs. La Maison de L'Audiophile sells matched pairs.
For the drivers I don't have a designation, does any body know the types? The last orders I have placed at La Maison de L'Audiophile but would be interested to purchase directly from Japan as I do with the other types.

Rgds

GKU

hi there, again

As GKU rightly pointes out, I made a mistake. The sa872 and sc1775 should not be replaced. Use the bd139/140 for the driver transistors if using the 2n3055/mj2955 only.

The origingal driver transistors where the 2sa634 and2sc1096 which are obsolete. If using the sd718 and sb688 the driver transistors to use are the 2sa968 and 2sc2238.

sorry for the mistake

regards
Joris

Stabist said:

Can you please tell me what kind of PSU did you use for Le Monstre?

Thanks

I used a passive filtered supply in mine. It is a C-L-C-L-C. It really helps when used with 100 dB efficient speakers.
One item, I had continual problems with noise. Finally tracked it down to grounding issues. The design is extremely sensitive to ground paths for the +/- supply rails.
Ended up getting it down to 0.3 - 0.4 mv by moving grounds in the power supply around. I learned a lot about grounding while chasing all this out.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.