Luxman R-1050 User Info or repair shop - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #1
N2Happy is offline N2Happy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Luxman R-1050 User Info or repair shop

The Luxman R-1050 (purchased 1979) powers up, I get a signal strength, Bose 901 speakers are attached, correct speaker setting (A) FM select but no sound from speakers. Because of relocation, I have had the receiver stored for about 10 yrs. I recall having similar problem and it seems that it was a simple setting or something to get it working. I also recall having to take it to a repair shop a couple of times with a blown fuse. Or at least I think that was the problem. Any help from you guys would save another trip to the shop and my appreciation would be tremendous.
Old 12th March 2009, 04:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have a 1050. Take a pic of the front so I can see what your settings are and I'll try to help.
Old 13th March 2009, 10:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

I hope you can help. The angle of the top photo is the best for you to see. If you need more, let me know.

Thanks,
Wayne
Old 13th March 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

To post a pic, go down to the browse button and attach from your files. Max 1000 pix either way and about 100K tops.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:00 PM   #5
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi N2Happy,
You probably don't have the 901 EQ box connected correctly. This would normally go in a tape effects loop so it runs at signal levels. If you did use to pre out / main in jacks and forgot to plug it in, you would not have any sound.

The problem with using the EQ box there is that the levels are very low and the noise from that box might end up too loud. I would recommend that you have the EQ improved with a better regulated power supply and a look at the circuitry. I think some used op amps, and they can certainly be improved these days.

For a quick check, just connect an RCA patch cord between the preamp out and main amp in.

Now for the reason you may have blown fuses. Make sure the power is off when you change any cords "back there". Also, make sure the EQ box power is on before the receiver turns on, and off last. You could leave it on all the time, or plug it into a switched outlet on the receiver.

-Chris
Old 17th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default New Smaller file Pics

Anatech, Thanks for the advice but I did not install the 901 EQ. I did not think it necessary just to check the FM radio and speakers. I plan to use the receiver for my TV and DVD player. I'm sorry about the trouble, I just haven't enough knowledge yet and thank you guys for your help. Don't worry about being basic, I appreciate it.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luxman 1050 2.jpg (76.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 19th March 2009, 02:41 AM   #7
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Wayne,
Okay, no problem.

It may not have been a problem had you connected the EQ if the links are missing.

Look at the rear panel where all the jacks are. You should see some jacks away from the rest of them ( a quad). One pair is marked "pre out" and the other pair is labeled "main in". These must be connected by either metal loops (or links, "U" jumpers), or an RCA patch cord.

Never change the wiring with the power on. It's too easy to cause a high level signal that may damage your speakers. Make absolutely sure that no wires are touching where the speakers connect. It only takes one fine strand of wire to cause trouble.

-Chris
Old 24th March 2009, 05:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. I can't find the Pre-out nor anything else that says preamp. I hope these pictures are helpful to you. Thanks for your time. I know it isn't easy but I do thank you.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1050 rear.jpg (86.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 24th March 2009, 05:30 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by N2Happy
I can't find the Pre-out nor anything else that says preamp. I hope these pictures are helpful to you.
From the picture, you don't have pre-out/amp-in, the afforementioned 901 EQ would have gone into a tape loop. Make sure you don't have the tape monitor switched in.

dave
Old 25th March 2009, 01:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

That's correct. There isn't a pre-out on the 1050 you have to use the tape loop.

Hide this!Advertise here!