Exposure 2010 No Power Supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Exposure 2010 No Power Supply

I have an Exposure 2010 integrated amplifier which is missing its power supply. From the photos below, it would seem as though this amp was never fitted with its transformer and resevoir caps. Does anyone know what voltage TX and capacitor values would be required to get this amp into a working condition?

I also notice the 2 sets of vertical wires coming from the board at the cap positions. Was this amp supposed to have 2 caps (per channel) mounted through the board holes, or a larger one mounted horizontaly and connected to these wires? I am guessing the latter as the holes appear to be blanked underneath.

I see these sell for good money on the bay and I think it worthwhile getting it into an operational state. It will hopefully fund something a bit more interesting. Any help is much appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 8th March 2009, 03:53 PM   #2
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I don't think that is two caps per channel.
It looks more like a pair of parallel caps for each half of a shared power supply.
The tails give the option of using a single pair of bigger caps, not necessarily higher value, just bigger. This could be higher temperature rating, higher voltage rating, higher capacitance, higher ripple rating, or any combination of these.

Where are the output devices?
What are they?
Where is the heatsink?
How much heat can it dissipate?
Old 8th March 2009, 04:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Output devices (4 of them) are mounted under the board and bolted to an ally slab. This is directly bolted to the bottom chassis.

This Review mentions they are Sanken bipolar MOSFETs and the Tx is 2KVA. It also gives this internal picture, which answers the capacitor mounting question.

Old 8th March 2009, 05:09 PM   #4
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
one pair of output devices on a tiny heatsink indicates ~ 50 to 80W into 8r0.

That would use a 25 to 30Vac transformer.

If those devices could cope with a moderate 4ohm load then the biggest transformer that would be worth using is ~ 625VA, not 2kVA.

If you want 80W + 80W into 8r0 then a 250VA transformer will do the job admirably. 50+50W could manage with a 160/180VA transformer.

edit.
it looks like they have changed the transformer from 28 to 30Vac up to using 32 to 34Vac to get that extra power.
I think that 2,000VA is a misprint, I suspect 200VA fits better with the size and weight.

Use a 30Vac 300VA transformer and think about doubling the PCB capacitance. The 4r0 power results are a disaster even for an 8ohm rated amplifier.

ps,
I don't believe that opinion that big drivers need high damping factors to perform well. It's much more down to the Q that the speaker designer builds into the box.
Old 6th June 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

I just bought a transformer that looks very similar to the above, I am going to use it for a power suppy unit for my Naim preamp. Does anyone know how to hook up 4 AC input wires for this transformer?

Thanks for your help!

Hide this!Advertise here!