Simple opamp/mosfet shunt regulator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2009, 02:24 AM   #1
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Default Simple opamp/mosfet shunt regulator

I would like to bring to your attention a simple shunt regulator which, at least in simulation, shows some promising results. The topology is not novel, I've inspired myself from the Jung regulator, the salas regulator, and a few others. Just the other day I found that Erno Borbely has designed a similar regulator.

I also have another version with the opamp replaced by bjts, which is, of course, not as good on paper.

This opamp version shows some of the best psrr results of a number of regulators, including the Jung super regulator. It also shows a very good transient response to sudden changes in the load. Showed in the following posts you will see some of the simulated results. I have also built this regulator, and it looks good on the oscilloscope, but I don't have any specialized testing equipment to do more tests.

Resistor R13 should actually be 5K variable, that's what I used. That needs to be set to find the spot where oscillation does not occur. The output impedance is in the microohms until 100kHz.

All capacitors in the simulation were set to an ESR of .5 ohms and an ESL of 10nH.

Most people here will care about the sound and nothing but the sound. This is something I cannot comment on, everyone has their own idea about what sounds good.

Any comments, suggestions, are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenreg2.jpg (93.0 KB, 1538 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 02:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Here is the psrr curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenreg2psrr.jpg (27.9 KB, 1213 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 02:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

What if the load is a square wave with a few microseconds rise/fall times, between 75 and 100mA? -- here is the regulator output.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenreg2trans.jpg (25.4 KB, 1113 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 02:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

And the output impedance plot, as well as the calculated zout (calculated by the spice directive .tf v(out) v1 )

--- Transfer Function ---

Transfer_function: 2.84731e-011 transfer
v1#Input_impedance: 0.00333333 impedance
output_impedance_at_V(out): 7.63865e-008 impedance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenreg2zout.jpg (22.1 KB, 1084 views)
Old 5th March 2009, 03:19 AM   #5
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Congratulations! This is the most impressive set of simulated results for any reg that I have seen so far. The fact that you have built it and it does not oscillate is a major step. I don't want you to describe the sound, but did you perceive it as different considering your previous regs? Also have you got identical line to scope's gnd? I ask because such simulated results will manifest somehow even if realized at their half potential in practice.
Old 5th March 2009, 04:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

salas, you're too kind, but I think that it's too early for congrats.

Anyway, I thought I stop poluting your threads and create one for this regulator, since the results were surprising for me too.

Cannot say anything about the difference in sound because I haven't plugged it in the phono yet. I was looking around for a schematic to build a little "noise amp" because the oscilloscope shows as good a trace as the other one we discussed before, the opamp buffered regulator. I think better test equipment is needed to test this beast. Not only that, but it should be built with more care to layout; now it's a rat nest only a prototype to quench my curiousity, really. Certainly looks promising.
Old 5th March 2009, 06:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The shunt part is very similar to what i use at present. My 317 CCS is probably less good and eventually i intended using the same as Salas but the sound even with the 317 is better than Jung.

Can you publish CCS results alone?

What is the purpose of R15?
Old 5th March 2009, 07:19 AM   #8
dodo is offline dodo  Poland
diyAudio Member

I would be intrested to see behaviour of that shunt with the large ( 1000uF) low ESR cap on the output

R15 with c5 build a RC circuit and plays ( I think ) the same role as in the Jung regulator
Old 5th March 2009, 07:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dodo
R15 with c5 build a RC circuit

Difficult to argue with the above

The purpose of these parts in the Jung regulator is to make both dc and ac impedances at the opamp inputs equal. R15 doesn't seem to be helping much in this respect.
Old 5th March 2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Connect R15 in series with the op-amp input and then put th e cap from th e op-amp input to ground - this is a filter.

There is no need in this type of circuit to focus too heavily on keeping the op-amp input resistances th e same since these source resistances are low enough no to cause any significant errors.

This is in any event a good sim result. I generally use 317/337 with the reference decoupled in my PSU's and then I decouple the op-amps with 22Ohms followed by 100uF right at the op-amp supply pins (I do this on each op-amp both + and - supply pins) which makes for a pretty low noise source.

I've sim'd the Jung and various shunt regulators and my view is that the shunt offers superior performance.

Hide this!Advertise here!