scope readings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is the out put of one preamplifier when i feed it with square wave 10 khz 200mv

please notice the rounding in the corners and if possible explain me what does it mean .....

forum member from tube area said to me that this represents a loss of 0.1db @20khz ....

is that so or is it worst ?????

in a good preamp shouldnt it be perfect square to at least 30KHZ ???

thanks

Attachments

• scope.jpg
    scope.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 371
bear .....

of course in the input there is a totally square image ....what you expect ..... ( normaly signals like that when coming from average signal generators are expected to be totally square ....)

in the input ....there is nothing ....since this is a tube preamp there is no r-c to restrict the input signal ..... just 100k resistor to signal connection with 100k resistor to ground .....

Re: bear .....

sakis said:
in the input ....there is nothing ....since this is a tube preamp there is no r-c to restrict the input signal ..... just 100k resistor to signal connection with 100k resistor to ground .....

Tubes, like semiconductors, have capacitors hidden inside them. And the circuit may or may not have NFB, and therefore makes its own RF/ultrasonic filter - probably some pesky 100k plate resistor and a few pF somewhere:).

Re: very well .....

sakis said:
in this case can you ensure me about that rounding in the corners ????

does it really represent a los of 0.1db at 20khz ???or is it more ???

You've got a scope and a signal generator - measure it. If you have trouble resolving 0.1dB, measure where it's down 1dB and back-calculate where the 0.1dB point would be assuming it's a singe-time-constant roll off.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Well, if you really need to halve the input signal, try a 25k resistor before the pot, and also try a 25k pot instead of 100k. That will wishfully keep the input resistive grid high enough still but better for response. Run the 10kHz square again and see if it got noticeably sharper corners.

thanks salas

meanwhile ....i tryied many variations and a few diferent circuits other type of topology and all of them had more or less similar performance

also meanwhile i had a responce from tube forum and a member said to me that 12AY7 will be the last thing to use if performance is the target ....

so salas if you have a circuit for a 12AY7 tube i will be more than happy to have it or at least to try it ....

to goal is a simple line stage preamp based on 12AY7 tubes

thanks

PS as bout the oscilation that will be the last thing to bother with since the all construction is kinda messy .... i will have to shape it up and then see for oscillation issues ( but thanks i will keep that in mind also )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.