Electrocompaniet AW 120 voltage conversion

Hello to everybody!

Just got a used EC AW 120 DMB from the US and need to use it on the European 230V. I know that this device was initially converted in the US to 110V (as I see original 230V 2,5A sign at the back of the device).

I have parsed all threads related to EC but didn't get any info on that subject.

Does anyone know if the Electrocompaniet AW 120 can be converted from 110V to 220V? If yes, what is the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Given that this is an uncommon amp, you may be better off posting a couple of pictures of the inside, especially around the tranformer supply wiring, and letting the folks here give an opinion based on what they see.

My hope would be that they used a transformer with dual 110V primaries. If that's the case, then switching it over would be a matter of re-rewiring those primaries to be in series rather than in parallel. Most likely that can be accomplished by moving connections around on a barrier strip, but without seeing the insides you'll need someone familiar with that specific amp, and that's going to be harder to find.

If they didn't use dual primaries (unlikely, but possible, as in my REL Stampede sub), then you'd actually have to get a replacement transformer, or two, depending on the PSU design.

SQLGuy said:
Given that this is an uncommon amp, you may be better off posting a couple of pictures of the inside, especially around the tranformer supply wiring, and letting the folks here give an opinion based on what they see.

My hope would be that they used a transformer with dual 110V primaries. If that's the case, then switching it over would be a matter of re-rewiring those primaries to be in series rather than in parallel. Most likely that can be accomplished by moving connections around on a barrier strip, but without seeing the insides you'll need someone familiar with that specific amp, and that's going to be harder to find.

If they didn't use dual primaries (unlikely, but possible, as in my REL Stampede sub), then you'd actually have to get a replacement transformer, or two, depending on the PSU design.

Thank you for your advice!

I will be able to post some pictures a liitle bit later (in a few days when amp will be back to my home). But from what I have seen and what really makes me thinking of a bad things are two transformers with hand written 100V labels on top of them (I don't know what that should mean - 100V or 100W?). The Part # of those transformers are: Toroid EC TR100, TI-62490A.
Actually inner design of that amp is very similar to AW100 which was discussed here few times (as I can compare the pictures). It looks similar to that amp just with more capacitors and some other details - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1759672&stamp=1235831058

Also according to EC site the Electrocompaniet AW120DMB power amplifier is based on the design philosophy of the AW180M monaural power amplifier - probably that will help. Also, everywhere in the manual it is written about main voltage of 120V/240V but it is never written how to switch it.

The less thing I want to do is to change transformers as that will cost a lot of money. :-((((

BRGDS,
Slava

Well, the fact that they use dual transformers is pretty good news. This means, worst case, if they didn't use dual primaries in the individual transformers, you could still run the two transformers in series off of 220V. That would probably be more sensitive to load variations, though, which is why it's a worst case option from my perspective.

I look forward to seeing the pictures of your amp.

Cheers,
Paul

Hello to everybody!

Here we go! Pls find attached few picures. Pls tell me if I need to make some other pictures inside.

BRGDS,
Slava

Pic 1

Attachments

• aw120_view1_resize.jpg
    aw120_view1_resize.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 471
Slavaua said:

Guidelines:

Left channel transformer:

White and Black wires should be connected to P17, Ð18 (it doesn't matter which colour to which contact). Keep Blue and Brown as is.

Right channel transformer:

White and black wires should be connected to P19, Ð20 (it doesn't matter which colour to which contact). Keep Blue and Brown as is.

That's it!