Good BJT for 3A operating current?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MJL3281A?

If I were to use the MJL3281A in a Class A output stage loaded on the emitter with a choke what is the easiest way to bias it?

Probably run from a +24v output stage.

Bias around 3A.

I want a single gain stage... voltage gain of 1... using an input tranny to step up the voltage.

Unless I use a CFP with a MOSFET and BJT.. would this minimize the Ciss?

Thanks!!!!!

Re: MJL3281A?

RichardJones said:
If I were to use the MJL3281A in a Class A output stage loaded on the emitter with a choke what is the easiest way to bias it?

Probably run from a +24v output stage.

Bias around 3A.

I want a single gain stage... voltage gain of 1... using an input tranny to step up the voltage.

Unless I use a CFP with a MOSFET and BJT.. would this minimize the Ciss?

Thanks!!!!!

1. Easy 3A bias, if you want heat, get a 100v supply, use a 29 ohm 350 watt resistor & run the transistor only in the last 24 volts. This would be a minimalist purist design.

2. However, would using s second MJL3281A as a constant current source be acceptible? For this, you would only need a powersupply with an additional 12-24v on top of your 24v output range. If so, I can draw up something simple. How about using 3 LM317 1 Amp constant current desing?

Note, without the additional voltage on your supply, your constant 3A will not be well regulated as Vbc increases to 24v.

Yes please.

Could you draw up something???

I am looking for a simple input stage to this.... probably a step-up tranny, would this work? like a 1:10.

How would it be connected?

I like the idea of 100v supply with the resistor loading instead of the CCS....

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Re: Yes please.

RichardJones said:
I like the idea of 100v supply with the resistor loading instead of the CCS....

I am in the middle of designing a balanced bipolar regulated Mosfet output version myself. The Balanced design only needs a 60V supply to match a 100v unbalanced version, and it further supresses power supply ripple noise & helps cancel out supply load due to large output signal swings.

Yours could be a nice mosfet driving transistor base design. Though, if you want a full BJT, the transistor drive would look like a darlington. I'll send a diagram tonight when I have some free time.

The best pric/watt effective resistors I've found to date:

Huntington Edgewound Resistors:

300 watts, Air cooled, Digikey ripoff price, 26.56$ cdn. (*0.64 for US$ price)

50 watts, Heatsink / Chassi mount, 1%, Digikey ripoff price for 10, 67.20$.

single gain stage?

If I wanted just a single gain stage... even maybe a darlington..

how do I hook it to a input transformer? and how do I work out which input transformers to use and values and such?

balanced would be easier.... smaller power supply and get rid of those output coupling caps.

Thanks!!!

I don't like the mosfet because of the input capacitance... unless I try a CFP design... but then I still need the input tranny to drive the BJT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.