Mirand A1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:)

Hi All.
Maybee i have put it in the wrong forum. I haven't been here for a long time.

But i have the last month thought what to do about the Mirand Project if i should skip it completely or start sell them again as prebuild amplifier boards....

So here i am, i do not expect any orders or anything else but...

But i ask:

Should i start building them again, is there a market for them??

Hypothetical question: If i would build them would any one buy them?

Should they then be as a monoboards? or as a stereoboard?

Should they have on board Powersupply?

I will promise, they will match something build by densen or simaudio from the appereance of the boards.

They will be gold plated as standard.
------

The reason for my question is that i will have some onetime cost for stencil a.o. stuff..

So it will not be cheap to start, and if nobody has any interrest in them there is no reason to buy pcb, stencil and use time on them

Best Regards

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi Sonny

You have a real world class amp, it really is something very special

but in the meantime you have got a lot of competition, be it on prices, simplicity or power

I am thinking whether a small 60watt stereo/integrated(dual mono) with a simple analogue input buffer/att would be interesting to some people, in the long run
May nock off some of those small chip/T-amps

Anyhow, it may take a while to achieve good reputation, and many of the people from when you were here last time, may not even be here any more

In reality I believe your boards are really much too good to throw at us DIYers
They have the potential to battle with the best out there
I am quite certain that if you shipped a nice handmade unit to a reliable french or dutch dealer, they would surely ask fore more

:cool:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Its an exstremely advanced 4 layer board with so many small SMDs that you cant even count them
Impossible do yourself
Sonny is obviously a master
Some will say say that such very complicated design cant sound good
Well, it does
As I recall it was suggested as 80watt amps

I have made a low voltage 50watt version, and quite simple
Mono with just a single pair of 15.000uf Jensen 4-pole, thats not even supposed to be good in poweramps
Though with powerfull double bridge switch diodes
I suggested the MJL21193/94, though had no clew, but Sonny said fine
Later found that those MJL must be almost undestructable
Originally I believe it was design mainly with Toshiba
Oscons, Elnas, Panasonic you name it
I believe there was 3 version to choose from, from a cheaper more modest, still with better componnts tha most, ending with an all out version with not much spared

I can only say that what comes in comes out
Speakers will be exstremely important
At the moment they just sound very sweet

btw, I have presented this 1 pair BJT output mono amps with an Infinity Kappa9
In 2ohm it was perfect, didnt even get very hot
The 500watt trafos pr mono might have helped here
Kappas set to 1ohm I started to get cautious and diidnt like to turn it up too much, as amps began to get pretty hot
Well, no surprise as its with inside mounted heatsinks

Honestly, today I think its too complicated and non profitable fore DIY, but I better let Sonny be the judge of that

Well, at the moment I hope that the new PASS F5 will give me the very last unobtanium :cool:

btw, Im a bit surpriced with so little and delayed response, but I suppose not many really noticed Sonnys design back then, and most that did may do other things now

Oh yes, I have a bit expencive integrated Advantage, designed by the genious Michael Bladenius
Now I use it only fore preamp, pretty advanced functions but simple buffer design, works quite good
But power section dont even come close to Mirand amps

Ok, i will..... Start supply them as dual channel boards. Make some changed to the design. Not to the worse i will promise...

They will only be supplied in a tested version, and one with all SMT done in a vapor phase oven -> No oxygen when soldering.

Same copper thickness but with a ENIG gold surface.. Keeps the surface solderable for a year.

I will be able to deliver from august.

Best regards

Sonny

What are our main goals with designing our own equipment????

For the first time in a year, i have had time to relax.. sit down thinking listen to my favorite music. Naturaly on my own power amp....;)
But i think all the guys/girls in the solidstate forum would not listen to anything else than they have build them self. If it is an amp made from scratch, a kit where you have made your own casing or powersupply...

Actually it does not matter!!!!!!! :yes:

ok, back to the sentence of my writing. At the moment i listen a lot to Madeleine Peyroux (Bare Bones), Lisa Ekdahl (give me that slow knowing smile), Miles Davis (Sketches of spain), Queen, Kate Bush (Aerial), RadioHead, Thom Yorke (Solo, The Eraser) .. So yes a lot of jazz, Pop, Rock, And some electronic music. I don't listen to them because they where listet as audiophile CD's (Audiophile CD tends to be chosen because of some special details in the music... I actually find them boring.... Do you dare to tell you oppinion on them??? :cool: ) I listen to them because i like what the Artist has done.. My wife does too... My kids will only dance. (3 and 4 years).....

So what do we wan't to do with the amps we have made... Get the complete picture with all the small errors in the picture placed on purpose or do we wan't to focus on the colour (sorry you US people!! But brittain will always be your mother :) ) on a specific point an not looking on whole image??

So now i am sitting listning to Thom Yorke which have made a beatifull image with his solo album.. Let's say "harrowdown hill" His delicate voice, the powerfull bass, the trimple, and all the other details which suddenly shows up and dissapear a moment later....

Isn't that what we seek when building our own equipment? To be as loyal as possible to the "painting" of the artist??

Excuse my humor....

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Re: What are our main goals with designing our own equipment????

sonnya said:

Isn't that what we seek when building our own equipment? To be as loyal as possible to the "painting" of the artist??

Hi Sonny

I want high level of articulation, and my Mirand amps deliver that in spades
Its more a question whether the speakers can handle it

You may not know, but I have tested them in very tough load and they still deliver superiour musicality
At 1ohm they begin to struggle though:D
Mind you its still with the single pair devices
Its funny, into my 4ohm 3way speakers I can turn preamp up 100%, and it still sounds ok, and just with a bit more bite
Sometimes it even sounds like bass is more detailed at full blast
I have no clew how that works

I still have your extended output boards
Those might be special
I will be watching this:)

Though I remember one day it was like my hearing collapsed
Im not sure whether it was a hearing problem or something happened with my amps
They sound nice, but may have develloped a high frequency problem
They dont get hot though, which I think they would if not stable
Or it could also be mains problems from something else, I dont know
Or some other parts of my setup
Maybe I should have them checked
But they are probably still fine as can be
Sounds like it

Can you repost the schematics for those who missed the train?

Hello,

LIke many other people I am sure, I would be interested to see some schematic of this amp! All the links are dead... Maybe you could post it on this forum again. I am very interested in CFA amps!

Thank you,

Regards

Attachments

• miranda1v11-1.jpg
    miranda1v11-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 704
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.