Accuphase E204 DC offset / bias current adjustment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2009, 08:29 AM   #1
slam is offline slam  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Accuphase E204 DC offset / bias current adjustment

Hi,

I am trying to adjust the bias current of my Accuphase e-204. In order to get the bias current to spec (44mv), I need to adjust STK 3082 out¡¦s DC offset to something totally off what the schematic says.

According to the schematic, the DS offset of STK 3082 output should be +/- 1.8V at idle. However here is what I got:

L (Pin 6, 5) +2.825V, -2.667V
R (Pin 11, 10)+2.957V, -2.179V

This is quite a lot more than 1.8 V. Also the difference between +ve and ¡Vve output (particularly on the R channel) worries me quite a bit.

I tried to swap Q4, C22, Q8 and Q12 between L and R channel and it basically makes no differences between the +ve/-ve values on the R channel. I also swapped STK 3082 to another one and it didn¡¦t make any differences.

However, the amp continues to play music and the output wave form seems to be OK. I also checked the capacity and ESR or all the caps and they seem to be OK.

Do you guys think these readings are normal? If not could you suggest ways to further troubleshoot the issue? Here is the schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th February 2009, 12:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

the 44mv is across the o\ps resisters set that correct, dont worry what the ic o\ps are, they are what that amp measured in the factory and are not absolute values
Old 25th February 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
slam is offline slam  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks much for your reply. I am pretty new to this and am curious. I probably should measure it less enjoy it more

Hide this!Advertise here!