Best DIY power-amp/kit to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was thinking of a low watt with as few parts as possible... thanks, Dan
Then check out a chipamp kit based on LM1875 (or similar 5-pin TO220 chips) that you can search for yourself among the chipamp forum threads.

Otherwise, refine your search to whether you just want a novelty item like 10W from 3 transistors all for $2 - or perhaps you are serious about audio and realise you will need a bit more than "basic" as a criterion for good sound.

As I see it, if you aren't fussed about quality, don't bother building anything, as your costs will be higher than commercial products that will probably be better anyway. There has to be a good reason to start a project and an aim like a better sounding amp. is a worthwhile starting point.

What really made me curious is looking under the hood of the First Watt products... they look so simple and well thought out.. I work as a machine operator in a PCB factory.. I made a whole lot of boards in my life time.. with pick and place machines. Now I would like to make and learn the how and wht for myself.. I started the Diy process with building speakers cabinets and adding drivers.. I really enjoy it very much.. I would like to build a system from top to bottom.. one that I will be proud of...

Please see Nelson's post in this thread - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/139262-best-diy-power-amp-kit-build.html#post1756864

I'd recommend a tda3116 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp.html) or similar. Get a completed board, add power supply and put it in a box. You'll have a great sounding amp relatively easily and learn lots. Don't get in over your head on a first project. Next try a few mods to it. Next amp stuff the board yourself. Then maybe a first watt clone or honeybadger. Most of all have fun with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.