Will this balanced PSU work as intended? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 04:49 AM   #1
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Default Will this balanced PSU work as intended?

Hi,
I'm having 2 of these stepdown transformers (240V to 120V) that do not have center tap, but I would like to derive balanced voltage output.

Will this arrangement work ? It will be used for a linestage pre-amp.




Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (10.3 KB, 128 views)
__________________
regards,
Will
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member
 
CBS240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: K-town
Hi Will

How many volts do you need for a SS line stage pre-amp?

Much less than 170, I presume.

If you are using those high voltage empty glass thingies, you're in the wrong forum. (not that there is anything wrong with 'em)


You need a resistor voltage divider to set the floating GND potential on the caps halfway between +/-. Also, You could build an active floating GND. (current amplifier for the floating GND reference)
__________________
All the trouble I've ever been in started out as fun......
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 06:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
jan.didden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Great City of Turnhout, Belgium
Blog Entries: 7
Default Re: Will this balanced PSU work as intended?

Quote:
Originally posted by Will
Hi,
I'm having 2 of these stepdown transformers (240V to 120V) that do not have center tap, but I would like to derive balanced voltage output.

Will this arrangement work ? It will be used for a linestage pre-amp.




Thanks.

Will,

You say you have two xformers. Why not put the primaries in series and use each secondary full wave rectification? You have then two voltages of about 40V that you can put in series with the connection point to ground, that are much lower and closer to what you will need. Or you can put the secondaries in series and use half-wave rectification.

Jan Didden
__________________
If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news? - W. S. Maugham
Check out Linear Audio!
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Quote:
Originally posted by CBS240
Hi Will

How many volts do you need for a SS line stage pre-amp?

Much less than 170, I presume.

If you are using those high voltage empty glass thingies, you're in the wrong forum. (not that there is anything wrong with 'em)


You need a resistor voltage divider to set the floating GND potential on the caps halfway between +/-. Also, You could build an active floating GND. (current amplifier for the floating GND reference)

Hi,
Yes it's used for a tube buffer linestage ala Joe Rasmussen's SLCF BUT the issue concern here is related to sand diodes




What values do you recommend for the resistor values to be at?

Cheers.
__________________
regards,
Will
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Default Re: Re: Will this balanced PSU work as intended?

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman



Will,

You say you have two xformers. Why not put the primaries in series and use each secondary full wave rectification? You have then two voltages of about 40V that you can put in series with the connection point to ground, that are much lower and closer to what you will need. Or you can put the secondaries in series and use half-wave rectification.

Jan Didden

Jan,
If I have 2 of them in primary series, that should mean that both 240V primaries will receive 120V each, and hence each of the secondary will be at 60V, and with 2 transformers of secondary in series then I should have 60-0-60VAC right?


Cheers.
__________________
regards,
Will
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My work! LM4766 Full balanced bbp Chip Amps 13 21st June 2007 06:42 AM
This PS should work as intended, right? cetoole Parts 0 10th January 2006 04:30 AM
why o why doesn't this work ? Balanced 549 SpaBlauw Chip Amps 15 26th January 2004 08:06 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:17 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2