PCB layout software recomendations...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Altium at work for me, but I concur, DRC is useful and there are many checks that cannot be done if the software cannot cross reference to the schematic in one way or another. The more stuff you can get DRC to less often you will have to do a respin between prototype and production.

Note that netlist does not necassarily imply using the autorouter (Which sometimes takes more setting up then is really worth the effort, and seldom does well for audio or switching power). Just being able to check connectivity and things like net classes for size of vias is very helpful.

Regards, Dan.

Autorouting is generally a no-no for RF. Critical parts placement and routing is more or less go-nogo for RF, and I think the same is probably valid for switch-mode or class D. Though I'll admit to never having designed a switch mode or a class D - I usually take a short cut and buy those.......:rolleyes:

Autorouting is generally a no-no for RF.
Somewhat, but note that modern digital parts tend to have edge rates that mean you are solidly into stripline or microstrip design if you want good signal integrity.
The better sort of CAD packages are actually smart enough to handle quite a lot of this doing things like automatically sizing tracks to produce the correct impedance given your board stack and equalizing net lengths with minimal user interaction.

Of course much of the time you end up routing manually anyway, but even then things like interactive differential pair routing and automatic net length equalisation make things faster.

Up at multi Ghz sort of RF of course many of your 'components' become shaped areas of copper on a teflon board, but even up there some of the CAD systems include enough electromagnetic modelling to at least provide help and sometimes even to tell you when you have screwed up.

Regards, Dan.

DesignSpark PCB

Hi
I'm looking for a free, relatively simple PCB layout program to play with..
I'm not planing anything fancy,,,

You could also try DesignSpark PCB from RS.
This is free and unrestricted software, not an introductory version of a commercial product.
It's like LTSpice, not coercive, just makes it easier to use their products.
Surprised it's not more well known, it seems well supported too.

Best wishes
David

I like EAGLE, because I can "draw" the tracks "smooth and round".
You won't find any 45° / 90° / 135° angles in any of my layouts.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.