Yorkville 400B Bass Head Repair Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2009, 03:47 PM   #1
cm961 is offline cm961  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Yorkville 400B Bass Head Repair Help

I've got a Yorkville 400B that stopped working recently. It served me great for many, many years until some drunken fool from another band knocked it off a stage (and didn't apologize). Pretty rude if you ask me since he showed up without a bass amp in the first place and assumed he could use mine. Anyway enough rambling.

The head took quite the spill. It's got a permanently attached power cable which was yanked on. The grommet came out and the connection terminal to the circuit board was tugged on. I took it apart and resoldered that and it worked for a gig or two. Now it doesn't again.

It's very quiet, and the sound is very distorted. It's almost like a flanger type sound making single notes sound out of tune.

It took quite the physical jolt so I'm wondering if some transistor legs got snapped or something.

It's a class B amp I'm sure, and luckily came with schematics.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've repaired a few amps (mostly car amps) over the years, but not for awhile and also this amp has got to be fixed so if I can't fix it myself I'll hand it to a shop. I'm sure there are some easy things I could check before hand though. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

edit: my links didn't work. I'll try to attach.

Schematics

Hide this!Advertise here!