stk4050 parallel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My guess is no.

STK modules are actually discrete built up modules, made with various components bonded onto the substrate and not etched in like 'normal' chipamps... Matching between modules will have to be very carefully and manually done - output offset and quiscent current will have to be exact - I see you buying quite a few ICs, and you will need 0.1% resistors in 0.22 ohms to ensure symmetrical loading. Not recommended. AFAIK the 40... series are rated for 8 ohm loads and not for 4 ohms?

If you do have 4 ohm speakers only, you can drop the rails down to 80% of the rated rail, and go into a 4 ohm load to get the same power, but please remember the STKs have higher distortion figures into 4 ohms than into 8.

STK4050V

I've tried so far two STK4046XI, one 4048XI and two 4050V and burned them all !!!!! :)
I checked and re-cheked times and times the circuit and nothing seems wrong, searched any possibility for a circuit diagram over the net and all data sheet are giving the same basic circuit!
I'm using a +/- 48Vcc from a switching power supply (i started with 55V then reduced it to 48 after many failures
what is happening is that i'm getting around -44Vdc on the output!!!!
any suggestion?!?!?!?!?!

Attachments

• stk4050v.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 241
Hi

I don't think it is a good idea to try and parallel these power amplifier modules. Electronically, it's suicide. You may try reducing the voltage to try with 4 Ohms, but I think these are really intended to drive 8 Ohms. 4 Ohms could be operating close to the SOA limits and might reduce life expectancy. At what minimum voltage will these modules still operate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.