replacement mosfet recomendations??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have 3 pair of mosfet amps with 2sk135 / 2sj50 output pairs.

i need to recase the amps all into one case, and was looking into replacing the mosfets with to218 or similar package units.

i was looking at 2sj200 / 2sk1529 at £3.50 / £4.00 each from cricklewood.

any other recomendations or suggestions?

cheers guys, steve.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I wouldnt suggest 2sj200 and complement at all, those are vertical mosfets, well thats how they behave, they need thermal compensation that lateral mosfets dont, the 2sj50 and compl are lateral mosfets. Does you amps have a vbe multiplier???

Check out profusion plc in uk for suitable lateral replacements, also classd in uk have some lateral mosfets at more reasonable prices.

sorry should have posted schem.

Attachments

• 100-150w mos amp.png
    100-150w mos amp.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 798
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Yes, please note I dont have experience with those mosfets, but they are manufactured by a reputable company so cant be bad. For other choices look at profusion plc, but be prepared to pay double the price as laterals are not cheap.

Dont think anyone would be easily swayed to purchase those from cricklewood, they were discontinued ages ago and theres plenty of fakes around, cricklewood is known to pass one here and there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Are they obsolete??? Im not sure that they are, they not easily available but Im pretty sure you can get some to fix your amp. There are many vertical mosfets around you could use ,theres plenty talk here of irfp240 and irfp9240 but Id go for originals. Try dalbani in Uk, should have them, but be prepared to pay a few pounds.

the 2sj200 2sk1529 and the 2sj201 2sk1530 are avialable from cricklewood

http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/product.php?productid=5569&cat=181&page=2

although as has been said else where, watch for the knock off's, ive never had a problem with them but some others have.

http://audiolabga.com/mal_cart/mal_cart.php?find=2SJ200

never tried these guys but they have stock and seem reasonable for cost.
hope that helps.

as for me, any other recomendations for replacement of 2sk135 / 2sj50 output pair??

cheers, steve.

2sk135 / 2sj50:

There are the BUZ 9xx fets. both TO-3 and TO3-P
Exicon has fets called ECX-something, TO-3 and TO3-P

2sk1058/2sj162 is the current production model corresponding to 2sk135 / 2sj50 from the original manufacturer - these are in TO3-P package. There are lower voltage versions too: 2sk1057 and 2sk1056 (don't remember the p-channel equivalents)

There are some other types too but those will be even harder to get.

The circuit Diagram you posted looks like the old Maplin 150w mosfet module.
This is basically the same as the original Hitachi Application Notes for the lateral mosfets.
Do a search for 'GA28f' for more information.
Most Lateral mosfets are suitable.
These amplifiers are not really suitable for 4R loads but for a normal 8R load a pair of single die lateral mosfets is adequate.
If the original mosfets are still OK You would be better off looking at the various upgrades for the amplifier boards. The 2sk135
2sj50 are equal or better than any modern equivalent you can buy.
The Class D, Exicon, and Magnatec, Lateral mosfets are all made by Semelab in the UK.
The Class D mosfets are the cheapest and the Magnatec the most expensive They are all very similar.
Look at
http://www.semefab.com.cn/acd100nsd.pdf
http://www.semefab.com.cn/acd102psd.pdf
for decent spec sheets for the class D parts.
Hitachi Mosfets are Now Made by Renesas. 2sk1058 2sj162 are the modern T03p equivalents.

they are the old maplin amps, very good for spotting it.
they run fine into 6ohm (as all my speakers are) but im running 3 way active crossover, so have 6 units.

was looking to re case them into one box but the space i have i was going to cut off the t03 mount and us plastic case mosfets mounted on a central forced air sink i reclaimed from a cnc machine at work.

id rather spend £40 on mosfets than £200 on a 6 channel amp!

cheers for the help, steve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.