How future transistors will look? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2009, 01:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How future transistors will look?

Now we have only a single hole to fix... clips are used too... some plastic ones can be glued into the heatsink.... now a days we have diodes inside as current sensor.... well... many different things may come.

I was thinking about, and i made my own idea.. something i would be happy to have.... gain written directly into the front... DC gain of course...half the maximum voltage gain..... limiters to introduce into the boards to allow fast alignment... and no screws or clamps or something alike that..only a thermal compound that will be, at same time, the glue to attach the unit directly into the heatsink..... of course transistors made with no conductive material...non electricall conductive and good thermal conductive...transistor bigger to better heat transfer...well... those are my ideas.

And about you... what do you think?.... what is your idea?.... are you satisfied the way they are now a days?.. do you want matched ones inside the same case?

Post sketches or write your ideas for us.

thanks in advance.

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: gif future transistors.gif (53.4 KB, 521 views)
Old 10th February 2009, 01:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Here you see the clip

attached,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clips5.jpg (96.3 KB, 523 views)
Old 10th February 2009, 02:03 PM   #3
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlos

I think also you will see more transistors placed in smaller packages like SOT-523, SOT-563 and SOT-923. As applications become smaller, the components will follow to suit. But there has to be a demand for change or there will be no profit by it. A few DIYer's probably doesn't constitute enough to change.
Old 10th February 2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

The minimum package size is about dissipated power, nothing else.
Old 10th February 2009, 05:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

True

I have noticed many typical transistors are appearing in smaller packages, I suppose to keep up with the constant shrinking of electronic products. For example, Fairchild now offers 2N3904/3906 and similar transistors in a SOT-923, apparently new. Power is de-rated of course, but if you include that factor in design, you can make smaller (physical) circuits. For small battery powered circuits, they are ideal.
Old 10th February 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Yes... the idea to reduce size seems to be something is happening and will happens

for the future...also Class D amplifiers that does not need enormous output transistors as efficiency is very high, and because of that heat is low.

I think class D will dominate, because makes sense... and Class A, Class AB, Class H and other sophistications, together eletronic tube will be with purists and audiophiles only.... also power is beeing substituted by efficiency an speakers by earphones... and maybe in the future will be micro blades with capacitance transfering energy directly to the brain.... in parallel with our ear drum.

The ones works switching...or cutted (no current, enormous resistance an no heat as resistance is enormous).... or saturated with very low resistance from drain to source... result is no heat even draining many amperes....so... the need to produce bigger ones seems is reducing.

I agree.

Carlos
Old 11th February 2009, 05:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CBS240
True

I have noticed many typical transistors are appearing in smaller packages, I suppose to keep up with the constant shrinking of electronic products. For example, Fairchild now offers 2N3904/3906 and similar transistors in a SOT-923, apparently new. Power is de-rated of course, but if you include that factor in design, you can make smaller (physical) circuits. For small battery powered circuits, they are ideal.
It seems 3904/3906 do get smaller still!
The SOT-963 duels. 1mm X 0.8mm.

Pd is largely influenced by the size and weight of copper pad surrounding where the collector pin is soldered.
Old 11th February 2009, 06:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello

I have seen lot of those tiny SMD transistors in cd and DVD players power supply and main board, but they are so tiny that the heat sink are just a copper square on the pc board and it's heat too much.

I will stick to standard size transistors but most Ic are now SMD, small signal transistors and some small power transistors will one day be mostly SMD only.

In future we will need tweezer and magnifier to made our diy amp pc board

Bye

Gaetan
Old 11th February 2009, 08:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Not long ago I read an article about components that are included in the PCB already. E. g. resistor layers inside that can somehow be accessed through the outer layer of the PCB. Although that may not be practical for power transistors, for small signal transistors it might be something we could see in commercial mass products. Not useful for DIY however.

Two reasons were given for this development in the article. One was that SMD components are becoming so small, even machines will not be able to handle them anymore. The second was that, like in the car industry, the big manufacturers want to "concentrate on their core business" (i. e. moneymaking) and transfer the fastidious and costly processes (working) to subcontractors. PCB manufacturers will face some interesting changes.

Regards
David
Old 11th February 2009, 09:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Yep...maybe they will stamp the carbon into the board as resistances

...some SMD as capacitors and transistors.

Board manufacturers should try to find another thing to do, as they have not a very nice future.

Also diy will change... only chips i think... parts already very small to old folks.... needs lenses, special glasses and tweezers as Gaetan said.

Well... we go enjoying as much as we can.

Also foruns will have their end too..observe Orkut, 50 millions users in Brazil..... inside you have your own forum and can interface with other foruns... with bigger images allowed and google video and youtube video associated... already having alike MSN conversation on line...near future will have audio and camera alike skype..... evolution is very fast.

Family was travelling into Europe and i was plugged all day long into skype.... so, they entered cyber shops and i could see them and talk with them, almost for free... also have used (paid) international telephone to almost everywere with a very small price.... was 10 minutes average conversation each day..... yep...future has arrived.

18 years ago i was using phone patch, connecting my ham VHF radio 144 Megahertz to the telephone line and having conversations.... so... radio going to the telephone line...now a days this idea (started with Radio Amateurs in the seventies... in US i think) and became the cell phone... millions of cell phones in brazil...almost half the population has one.

This forum also must evolute or will be left behind, including on line chating or audio or something to face the new era competition.... and we gonna have to associate, to pay to the use, as foruns will have higher cost to operate into new ages.

Several times i had the need to be chating with forum members and send them, or receive from them, an instantaneous sketch... could not.

regards,

Carlos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA3rTpFQ388

Hide this!Advertise here!