Quantum tunneling volume control and resistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2009, 11:39 AM   #1
albin is offline albin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Quantum tunneling volume control and resistors

I made a crude volume control using Peretech Qtc pills,anyone tried these

regards
Max
ps now I know what It feels like to be a prat and cool at the same
time.scary.
Old 9th February 2009, 09:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default no one has it seems

So at the risk of digging a deep hole here's this idiots guide to I'm not sure what.Conductors are full of electrons,very full,they don't do nothing except move between the edges of the conductor at very nearly the speed of light,all the time,they don't slow down,ever.If you connect one conductor to another with a greater
density off electrons in it, the ones moving toward the contact point(maybe half of the difference in density)move at lightspeed into the lower one untill they reach it's edge,while doing this they work against the permitivity of space(377 ohms)and produce an electromagnetic wave,this work bit keeps on truckin'as a wave(wireless radio style).The rest off them bounce back to meet the other half who were going away from the contact point at the start,When they cross over each other their EM fields cancel each other and die down.But they don't slow down,they keep on moving between the edges of the new bigger conductor,there's nothing to stop them so they don't.
This is wrong.the electrons don't move much at all,it's their interactions with each other that moves at lightspeed.Anyhoo the electrons at the edge are bouncing in and out of it all the time,and they mostly repel everything outside,shiny reflective stuff
metal.
Where the conductor is very tiny(nanoparticulate)the electrons have a harder time knowing where the edge(s) is are.It all gets kind of spikey,and the electrons find it easier to escape,where to ? ,to another conductor,if it's close enough.How.Here goes.
Old 10th February 2009, 01:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It should be possible with quantum resistors. It is a 'noise-free' approach. Tends to be somewhat non-linear. Got any to try it out?
Old 10th February 2009, 10:45 AM   #4
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
It should be possible with quantum resistors. It is a 'noise-free' approach. Tends to be somewhat non-linear. Got any to try it out?
A perfect match!
Old 10th February 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I just looked this up. Wow. Take some conductive rubber, a widely used technology that's been around for almost a hundred years, and make it sound exotic.

There's no "quantum tunneling" except in the trademark, the effect is quite macroscopic. It has all the Johnson noise of a resistor with a whole lot of excess noise, too.
Old 10th February 2009, 12:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default reply

Syn08
I hadn't finished digging.
Sy
'fess up,you didn't measure one did you?
regards
Max
Old 10th February 2009, 12:28 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Didn't have to, I worked in that industry for over a decade, have several related patents, a few million products in the market, and am intimately familiar with the technology. I was also a consultant to Microsoft regarding the applications of this stuff. It's pretty trivial to formulate, and there's a bout a zillion companies making the same thing. Start with Shin Etsu and Toshiba.
Old 10th February 2009, 06:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, we could still use nanotube based quantum resistors. Did you invent those too, SY?
Old 10th February 2009, 06:52 PM   #9
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
... a bout a zillion companies making the same thing...
Welcome fellow Canadian.
Old 10th February 2009, 06:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default reply

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
John
I didn't check the noise,I don't think I could.I didn't hear anything
wierd though,and I agree that It could be good in that regard.

Sy
I looked but I couldn't find any
regards
Max
ps John I meant useing a pill under constant pressure as a fixed
resistor

Hide this!Advertise here!