Quantum tunneling volume control and resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no one has it seems

So at the risk of digging a deep hole here's this idiots guide to I'm not sure what.Conductors are full of electrons,very full,they don't do nothing except move between the edges of the conductor at very nearly the speed of light,all the time,they don't slow down,ever.If you connect one conductor to another with a greater
density off electrons in it, the ones moving toward the contact point(maybe half of the difference in density)move at lightspeed into the lower one untill they reach it's edge,while doing this they work against the permitivity of space(377 ohms)and produce an electromagnetic wave,this work bit keeps on truckin'as a wave(wireless radio style).The rest off them bounce back to meet the other half who were going away from the contact point at the start,When they cross over each other their EM fields cancel each other and die down.But they don't slow down,they keep on moving between the edges of the new bigger conductor,there's nothing to stop them so they don't.
This is wrong.the electrons don't move much at all,it's their interactions with each other that moves at lightspeed.Anyhoo the electrons at the edge are bouncing in and out of it all the time,and they mostly repel everything outside,shiny reflective stuff
metal.
Where the conductor is very tiny(nanoparticulate)the electrons have a harder time knowing where the edge(s) is are.It all gets kind of spikey,and the electrons find it easier to escape,where to ? ,to another conductor,if it's close enough.How.Here goes.

I just looked this up. Wow. Take some conductive rubber, a widely used technology that's been around for almost a hundred years, and make it sound exotic.

There's no "quantum tunneling" except in the trademark, the effect is quite macroscopic. It has all the Johnson noise of a resistor with a whole lot of excess noise, too.

Didn't have to, I worked in that industry for over a decade, have several related patents, a few million products in the market, and am intimately familiar with the technology. I was also a consultant to Microsoft regarding the applications of this stuff. It's pretty trivial to formulate, and there's a bout a zillion companies making the same thing. Start with Shin Etsu and Toshiba.

john curl said:
It should be possible with quantum resistors. It is a 'noise-free' approach. Tends to be somewhat non-linear. Got any to try it out?
John
I didn't check the noise,I don't think I could.I didn't hear anything
wierd though,and I agree that It could be good in that regard.

Sy
I looked but I couldn't find any
regards
Max
ps John I meant useing a pill under constant pressure as a fixed
resistor

I didn't invent conductive rubber, it's even older than you. :D

Any physical resistor will show Johnson noise, even with "quantum" in the name. Johnson noise is an inevitable consequence of the laws of, uhhh, quantum mechanics. There's a superb derivation of the noise equation in the Feynman Lectures, starting from first principles.

As for nano, I have on my desk at the moment, carbon nanotubes, carbon nano cones, carbon nano discs, conducting polymer nanofibers, and a very interesting nano metal chalcogenide which will shortly find a home in my turntable bearing. Which do you want to try?

It's a nano particle nickel filled silicone rubber.
Read the website.
I don't see exactly how it ought to work.
I also wonder if you exceed some pressure, if it breaks down and stays conductive... also wonder what capacitance it shows.

But, I can see the new attenuator, pot style:
a pair of ganged acme threaded copper rods with reducing gears, one pushing on either side of a solid silver bar (the "wiper")... with the QTP device mounted on either side of said bar...

yeah! :wiz:

Give it that old school 1920's electronic gear look, and ur good to go!

_-_-bear

Guess what: carbon black is nano! "Nano" is almost as abused as "all natural" is in food packaging.

Typically, a few different fillers are thrown in to get the pressure/resistivity curve to be the right scale; carbon black for structure factor, metal particles to get the right resistivity. As the particles move closer together under strain, the resistivity drops. It's reversible as long as you don't reach the plastic deformation limit of the rubber.

nano nano

Hello
Bear
you've been looking at my kitchen table ?
Sy
you're a lucky bloke,I just HAD to build a buckyball,,,what 25 years ago.
Anyway,does it work or don't it?
Well yes and then again no
As I said in another thread I think it sounds right.
The problem is the control bit,hysteresis,ten minutes...half an hour
I was going to try explaining how it works as i think in my head,but I just get bloody confused,Quantum mechanics anyone?
regards
Max

Yes, it works in the sense that it's a resistor, albeit a very poor quality one with lots of excess noise, creep, and hysteresis. The technology is fine for video game controllers and electronic musical instruments (these are the most common applications), but why in the world someone would want to run audio through it is beyond me. The cheapest Radio Shack pot is a far better volume control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.