High Watt PA Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2009, 08:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default High Watt PA Amplifier

Hello forum members,
I am interested in building a pair of two channel amplifiers capable of running a medium size PA system. My high and mid cabinets have an average sensitivity of 104db @ 8ohms and the bass cabinets are around 95db@ 8 ohms. I would like to have some headroom so I have the option of running two parallel cabinets per channel, four cabinets per amplifier. I have looked into the studio 350 amp from silicon chip among others but wasn't sure if they were the right choice. If anyone has any amp design suggestions it would be highly appreciated! -Thank You!
Old 4th February 2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

uhm..... wattage?? ......of the speakers
Old 4th February 2009, 02:03 PM   #3
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

We're discussing a pretty big one here... no, it's not class A.

Building a Monster... Class A
Old 4th February 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: High Watt PA Amplifier

Quote:
Originally posted by roots600rr
Hello forum members,
I am interested in building a pair of two channel amplifiers capable of running a medium size PA system. My high and mid cabinets have an average sensitivity of 104db @ 8ohms and the bass cabinets are around 95db@ 8 ohms. I would like to have some headroom so I have the option of running two parallel cabinets per channel, four cabinets per amplifier. I have looked into the studio 350 amp from silicon chip among others but wasn't sure if they were the right choice. If anyone has any amp design suggestions it would be highly appreciated! -Thank You!

The speakers are rated at 300W
Old 4th February 2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Account disabled at member's request

You could post probably buy a new built PA amp for cheaper than building one but but if you want to go the diy way I would also suggest you have a look at a members here called fotios amp, its called dirty harry and well designed. Use search and search for a thread with this title.
Old 5th February 2009, 01:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default cooling

I've not had much expirience with building amps yet - but i've built some pretty high end computers, and I would like to suggest TEC cooling if you can afford/power it. I doubt there exists an amp with TEC cooling at this point, but there's always a time for firsts...

-John

P.S. can anybody give me a few website where I can buy reasonsably priced transformers (toriodal or other is fine)? Thanks
Old 5th February 2009, 02:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Adrculda Send a message via Yahoo to Adrculda
As posted in my Thread...
The reason why im going so big is the low impedance that i will need the amp to drive, while for those that want multiple amps for bi or tri amping is suitable to go with a scaled down version of mine.

Take a look at the schematic that MJL has posted in my thread !!!
hes even got the board layout posted.

John...
Peltier effect is a great heat pump, but your overlooking the fact that some of these monster transistors can trow out as much as 300W !!!
The largest peltier i seen was 80W and this thing would Draw 55A under full load!
If you want to build something "cool" run a water cooling kit from a computer with a custom heat sink (which if you say you are familiar with, if you know what i'm talking about), but instead of water use transformer oil, but i will doubt that you will ever need it that.

I might be doing that myself as i have 2 roomates working as machinists so it wouldn't be hard for me to get a 2" thick chunk of aluminum machined with passages for the "coolant" and then seal it with a .25" thick plate of copper ( guess which side will the transistors will go on).

Click here for cheap transformers
Old 5th February 2009, 02:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wg_ski
We're discussing a pretty big one here... no, it's not class A.

Building a Monster... Class A

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrculda
As posted in my Thread...
The reason why im going so big is the low impedance that i will need the amp to drive, while for those that want multiple amps for bi or tri amping is suitable to go with a scaled down version of mine....

Click here for cheap transformers
The only reason I didnt take interest in this one was because of the size of the required tranfo!...

Old 5th February 2009, 03:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Adrculda Send a message via Yahoo to Adrculda
Quote:
Originally posted by roots600rr

The only reason I didnt take interest in this one was because of the size of the required tranfo!...

yes but as i have mentioned you only need 1/4 of what i need !!
in other words you can easily get by with a single 800VA or 1KVA unit to drive both channels !!

your power output id limited by the number of output devices and transformer.
Also keep in mind that if your running highs or mids is a different story than subs where current/voltage control is needed to be on an idusrial level.
Old 5th February 2009, 06:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Anyone build this?

300W Subwoofer Power Amplifier http://sound.westhost.com/project68.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!