Quartre Amplifier ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2009, 03:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Qurtre Amplifier ???

As I was going through all my hidey holes of old Electronics I found a very heavy Qurtre Amplifier. I hooked it up and all seems well and works good and sounds good....But, I know nothing about this Amp as there is no name plate or other ID anywhere except the Qurtre Name on the Silver brushed front panel with one tiny red power light on the front bottom center. Any input as to what I have here is appreciated. Searched the web with basically no information.
Thanks
Bill
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:15 AM   #2
The one and only

Quatre?
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:33 AM   #3
PH104 is offline PH104  United States
diyAudio Member

If those are Quatre's, I have two of those or at least most of the pieces. Way back when (maybe like late 70's??), the Quatre DG-250c and a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's was considered a fine combination. If nothing else, you have a hefty power transformer and chassis to use for other projects.

The transistors used for the VAS and pre-drivers in those amps was prone to blowing out. It can be replaced easily. There is also room on those heatsinks to drill out for 3rd pair of output transistors so that it can more reliably drive a 4 ohm load, and it is a fairly simple task to convert the quasi-complementary o/p stage to full complementary.

If those are Quatre's and you decide to get rid them, I would be interested in them. I have a very fond spot in my heart for those amps.

Phil
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PH104
If those are Quatre's, I have two of those or at least most of the pieces. Way back when (maybe like late 70's??), the Quatre DG-250c and a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's was considered a fine combination. If nothing else, you have a hefty power transformer and chassis to use for other projects.

The transistors used for the VAS and pre-drivers in those amps was prone to blowing out. It can be replaced easily. There is also room on those heatsinks to drill out for 3rd pair of output transistors so that it can more reliably drive a 4 ohm load, and it is a fairly simple task to convert the quasi-complementary o/p stage to full complementary.

If those are Quatre's and you decide to get rid them, I would be interested in them. I have a very fond spot in my heart for those amps.

Phil
Thanks
The logo is script and looked like QURTRE but can also be read as QUATRE which is probably the correct spelling as you said. My plan was to use this amp or my Dynaco 120 for powering my Dahlquist DQ-10s for easy listening. I presume by the number that this amp is 250W. Is this correct? If I do not use them I would entertain the idea of letting them go. I do not know the value as I cannot find information on them. Thanks for the mod ideas.
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

They're a 125wpc. I might have an old ad sheet from them around. I'll see if I can find it. You'll have a very nice easy listening system indeed!

ah -- found it! I'll email you the pdf
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
I though David Gore designed a bunch of gain cell models ?
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes -- It was Dave Gore and a guy named Charles Bootjer (spelling?). They had 2 amps and maybe a preamp. The amps were a DG250C (125 wpc) and a GC500 (200 wpc).
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

THe Quatre ad sheet.........
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen
I though David Gore designed a bunch of gain cell models ?

That amp was called a gain cell amp. As I recall, that amp also had a rather high failure rate, possibly approaching 100%.
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

They did Steve. The pair I inherited were used to drive an old pair of Infinity 4.5's. It was the VAS and pre-drivers that went out. I replaced those in my old ones and added the third pair of o/p transistors and never had a bit of problems with them, and some magical sounds if my memory is right. I would sure like to compare those to a modern amp - to the point of building a modern version of them. And they were actually more reliable once the protection circuits were removed.

And I'm having trouble posting the ad sheet,,,,,,,,,, stay tuned.

Phil

Hide this!Advertise here!