Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A small AMP can be built with an IC some components and a power supply. Guitars can have a high output and this needs to be taken care off on the input side. Normal domestic amplifiers will not sound good and may fail.

You need an amp designed for a guitar. The next problem is the speaker. a hi-fi or ordinary speaker will probably be destroyed by the output of a guitar amp! One good strum will launch the cone across the room

I would look at the practice amps on sale (used ones on ebay as well). For 40 it would be difficult to get all the parts including a case to make one.

Please if you have never done electronics do not start with mains (220V) powered equipment . Let someone else have the hassle and provide safe equipment. Any fault could provide full mains voltage to the guitar
Old 5th February 2009, 07:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiny
A small AMP can be built with an IC some components and a power supply. Guitars can have a high output and this needs to be taken care off on the input side. Normal domestic amplifiers will not sound good and may fail.

You need an amp designed for a guitar. The next problem is the speaker. a hi-fi or ordinary speaker will probably be destroyed by the output of a guitar amp! One good strum will launch the cone across the room

I would look at the practice amps on sale (used ones on ebay as well). For 40 it would be difficult to get all the parts including a case to make one.

Please if you have never done electronics do not start with mains (220V) powered equipment . Let someone else have the hassle and provide safe equipment. Any fault could provide full mains voltage to the guitar
You see, the problem is that i dont want my guitar to be destroyed

but isn't there a premade thingie which i can put between my guitar and speaker, with the electronics already done, and which won't destroy my speaker after one nice chord ?
i'm really affraid ill screw up when im going to construct this thing myself
Old 5th February 2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by .sQuare_nl

You see, the problem is that i dont want my guitar to be destroyed

but isn't there a premade thingie which i can put between my guitar and speaker, with the electronics already done, and which won't destroy my speaker after one nice chord ?
i'm really affraid ill screw up when im going to construct this thing myself
If the speaker is not designed for guitar use it will probably be damaged

One thing you have not mentioned is the power rating of the speaker. you need this value before you decide on an amplifier, this will be in watts.
I still think the referanced practice amp and similar (from @ 25 on Ebay) are a better buy

Edit, I recently built a 5watt stereo chip amp for my PC. Parts were about 15 + other things I had like case, sockets, mains connector, fuse holders, shrink sleaving etc, probably another 15 If I had to buy new.
Old 6th February 2009, 09:41 AM   #14
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

electric guitars can kill electric guitar players, even when the roadie is a professional.
Buy a ready made guitar amplifier.

Hide this!Advertise here!