Phase linear 400 meter lamp replacements - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2009, 11:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default 6v transformer

I totally agree with you on the transformer at fault although there are 2 red leads [6v]out from the transformer that go nowhere except the meter lights and there is 0v between them. The schematic verifys this, I have never had a blown transformer. Just leaves me the option to get the voltage somewhere else.
Thanks for the design help
Bill
Old 19th February 2009, 01:30 AM   #12
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Phase Linear xfmr problem

Use an ohm meter on the xfmr winding. If it's open then the problem is the connection between the winding and the red wire. You would have to remove the xfmr from the chassis and take the cover off that the the rectifier mounts on.

I experimented with LEDs on a 400 a few years back. The problem is that incandescent bulbs disperse light in all directions whereas the LED has a limited pattern from the tip. When inserted Horizontally the LEDs don't light up the panel very well. I found some green ultra high output LEDs that were OK, but I really wanted blue.

I've got some other mods for the 400 in the works. PM me if interested.
Old 19th February 2009, 10:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default PL400

I am defiantly interested in PL 400 Mods. Info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
Old 20th February 2009, 12:17 AM   #14
d3imlay is offline d3imlay  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PL400

Quote:
Originally posted by Barnacle
I am defiantly interested in PL 400 Mods. Info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
Bill,

You're user preferences don't allow email through this forum. Mine does. Send a PM.
Old 15th March 2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Garp32 is offline Garp32  United States
diyAudio Member

I just recently used some blue 5mm wide (60 degree) dispersion LED's with a 40 ohm resistor for current limiting attached to each LED leg. Like the earlier post mentioned, with just AC supplying them, you may notice a flicker while moving your head, but I really haven't noticed it all that much. Like D3imlay mentioned, LED's are designed to project their light out the end, so you should choose one with the highest dispersion angle, and a neat trick I used was to lightly sand the outside with scotch brite, or some 400 grit sand paper to make it more translucent. That made a huge difference on throwing out more light from the sides. Depending on which meter you have, mine has the Honeywells, I would like to see if it's possible to apply some reflective foil tape at the bottom on the meter to throw some more light up off the bottom. I will take some pictures shortly and get them posted here, but battling a Large bias voltage issue I am having with it right now, so the project is at a stand still.
Old 29th June 2010, 06:08 PM   #16
joka22 is offline joka22  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

erm i just bought a phase linear off a guy from stoke on trent with the name trev off ebay you appear to have the same name

Hide this!Advertise here!