Gas Ampzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I Live in Adelaide Australia.
I have an original GAS Ampzilla amp and one channel is now no output.
Repair tech has testedand said there is no output in the 2 pairs of output transistors GAS 101 (both) and GAS 102 (both)
He claims the closest equivalent isMJE 15003 which he claims should have adequate volt and amp capacity.
Has anyone any ideas on suitability. or my best substitutes for these transistors (GAS) ?
With the advent of home theatre 7.1 etc, these amps, although superb, are becoming "not worth repairing".
I am after the most economical reliable fix.
Regards,
mharry

7781_1.JPG

cc83_1.JPG

f9_1.JPG

wg_ski said:

With the 15003/4 you're more likely to get a counterfiet than a real one. According to On's website, they don't appear to be in production anymore.

Djk: Now show us the *inside*.....

OK. Technically the current production parts are MJ15004G - http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=MJ15004

With the G version being the unleaded version. Do the leaded parts work or sound better?

Actually, the seem to be back! That's good to know. I was looking for them 6 months or a year ago, and ON had them listed as 'obsolete' with MJ15024/025 listed as possible subs (but we knew that). Maybe they got sick of all the phonies out there becuase for a while that's all you could get. Still no dice on the 2N6609 :(

The G versions have a little more problems with solderability. In production, you're supposed to retool with all new solder and reflow temp profiles to get best results. With hand soldering I doubt it will ever be a problem.

Well, to order directly from On you'd have to be buying several thousands of each number. For a direct order you might even be able to get them to rerun some out of production parts.

For the rest of us, though, distributors like Mouser, Digi-Key, and Newark should all be safe bets.

I think these guys on eBay are preying to a large extent on people that don't realize that a lot of these parts are in current production.

No, actually he's right. I hadn't looked at dealing with them directly since the Motorola days, but I just checked, and you can buy directly from On, even in single-piece quanities.

And, their price on the MJ21193's, for example, is about 15% lower than Mouser.

Thanks for the pointer Stormrider.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.