General purpose shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
poor man`s general purpose shunt regulator, precipitately drawn, simulated in the head. Omissions and errors reserved!

Attachments

• shunt reg.jpg
    shunt reg.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,200
Dear Sirs,
it could be mentioned in parentheses that the sonic performance of shunt regulators cannot be compared to the 15kHz IC types, which have an immense circuit complexity and suffer from devastating GNF effects and other anomalies in audio use. Yet many seriously meant attempts for "improvement" have been made over the years. What a waste of resources. However, shunt regulators work in a kind of class A so power dissipation is a problem in some situations.

Hi Lumba,

that must be the first readable schematic I've seen from you :D

Nice toy! However, I do not get your attitude with respect to negative feedback and regulators; every regulator uses in principle 100% negative (voltage) feedback as it does not provide any gain.

Have fu, Hannes

PMA said:
Emitter follower = 100% voltage feedback :D

Absolutely wrong - it is 100 % Emitter degeneration, which may have the same final effect as feedback mechanisms but it's clearly not the same thing.

No voltage is being "fed-back", it's just putting the resistor in emitter circuit so that current which flows through transistor can swing in rhythm with input signal. Having no gain has nothing to do with it, it's just a simple use of inherent, intrinsic property of the transistor itself.

Once more, there is no voltage that you take from somewhere and feed it to somewhere else - feedback means loop - it's not the case with degeneration.

Please, once and for all - let us use standard, scientifically determined terms in order to make a clear distinction between feedback and cathode/source/emitter degeneration.

juma said:

Absolutely wrong - it is 100 % Emitter degeneration, which may have the same final effect as feedback mechanisms but it's clearly not the same thing.

No voltage is being "fed-back", it's just putting the resistor in emitter circuit so that current which flows through transistor can swing in rhythm with input signal. Having no gain has nothing to do with it, it's just a simple use of inherent, intrinsic property of the transistor itself.

Once more, there is no voltage that you take from somewhere and feed it to somewhere else - feedback means loop - it's not the case with degeneration.

Please, once and for all - let us use standard, scientifically determined terms in order to make a clear distinction between feedback and cathode/source/emitter degeneration.

Absolutely WRONG. Emitter degeneration IS NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_emitter

Ah, ok, this is Wikipedia, not reliable :D And speaking about "let us use standard, scientifically determined terms in order to make a clear distinction between feedback and cathode/source/emitter degeneration", what about this one?

http://books.google.com/books?id=bk...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

Paul Horowitz? Who's Paul Horowitz? I'll stop here, not before asking if you ever heard about current feedback and the four feedback topologies?

I won't get into personal defamation and name throwing, it's just colloquial use of term "feedback" that bothers me, creating a false impression of equality between essentially different physical phenomena/engineering techniques.

As far as I'm concerned the feedback/degeneration subject is closed.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
PMA said:
Emitter follower = 100% voltage feedback :D

Let's try to think logically? I didn't say that feedback = regulator. I said that any regulator works based on feedback. Not the same.

Why is it so that everytime a new guy pops up he tries to re-define long-established definitions to fit his 'believe'?
Does being a diy-er somehow prevent people to think clearly and logically?

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.