Musical Fidelity A1 Improvements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bonsai said:
I didn't think it would b e possible to improve the A1.

:D

Probably true. But it's possible to dissipate heat better. Due to the heat produced the caps where suspiciously inflated and the pot was broken. The minimum changes to do are to remove the heatsink, install a better one with a fan and change the 10000uf cads and the Alps pot. See my photos:

http://ignatiusprojects.blogspot.com/

Hi,

A word of advice.
Do not replace the TL074 used in the shunt regulated supplies to the phono stage with an OPA4134. It won't work. It's not just if it sounds good or not, it actually won't work at all.
It's ok to replace the other one in the line stage.

juluska-san,

I have had some opamps rolled on my MF A200, which is equipped with similar pre stage as MF A1.

TL074/084 ... Original. Warm, masked.
AD8620x2 ... Clearly audible improvement on resolution
OPA627x4 ... Significant improvement, still keeping MF's sound
TLE2074 ... Slight improvement on resolution
OPA4227 ... Dull. Maybe worse than TL074
TLE2144 ... Significant improvement, with colder sound tone

Last three newer 4ch opamps were my quite recent trials, and I found TLE2144 is quite impressive. Sound is full of details with somewhat cold sound tone, while OPA627 gave hotter sound.
LM49740 can be another option, though, I skipped it because I do not like the sound of LM49720 in my diy headphone amplifier.

You can find TLE2144 in Digikey at very reasonable price.
Good luck!

P.S.
Some pictures in my site;
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/web123/20090626

Senshu San....please, inform the brand name your people respect as high quality

Say...audiophiles.... i am watching you with the A1, and i know how the A1 sounds... this way i feel myself interested to know the ones Japanese values.

I have worked for Sony, and i respect a lot your people, and the value of your opinion is strong in my mind.

Also, i would like to ask you the one is better between those chips i have here:

OPA2134
OPA1632
LM49860
LM4562
INA134
DRV134

Write to panzertoo@yahoo.com

Sayonara

Carlos

senshu said:
juluska-san,

I have had some opamps rolled on my MF A200, which is equipped with similar pre stage as MF A1.

TL074/084 ... Original. Warm, masked.
AD8620x2 ... Clearly audible improvement on resolution
OPA627x4 ... Significant improvement, still keeping MF's sound
TLE2074 ... Slight improvement on resolution
OPA4227 ... Dull. Maybe worse than TL074
TLE2144 ... Significant improvement, with colder sound tone

Last three newer 4ch opamps were my quite recent trials, and I found TLE2144 is quite impressive. Sound is full of details with somewhat cold sound tone, while OPA627 gave hotter sound.
LM49740 can be another option, though, I skipped it because I do not like the sound of LM49720 in my diy headphone amplifier.

You can find TLE2144 in Digikey at very reasonable price.
Good luck!

P.S.
Some pictures in my site;
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/web123/20090626

Thanks, i will include the TLE2144 in my next digikey order.

Hello

The first time I did listening to a Musical Fidelity amp was about 9 years ago, I did eard the Musical Fidelity Nu Vista M3 integrate amp, with Monitor Audio loudspeakers, it was a superb musical experience, my first commercial amp listening session who was really musical.

I would be very currious to see the schematic of the Musical Fidelity Nu Vista M3 but I did not see any on the web.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Attachments

• musical fidelity nu vista m3 integrate amp.jpg
    musical fidelity nu vista m3 integrate amp.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 507
Hi destroyer x -san,

I am doubtful if there is any common or special preference found among Japanese guys.
Most of guys love BB, AD or LT, not JRCs.

So, below are my personal subjective impression...

OPA2134:
Stable behavior. Somewhat normalized too much, framed?

LME49860/LM4562:
Detailed. Clean. Flat. Less swing.

Frankly speaking, I could not notice any sounding difference on LME49860 or LM4562, against LME49720.
I've never experienced OPA1632, INA134 nor DRV134, except I found INA134 in Linn's IKEMI, together with many OPA604s.

And yes, surely circuit topology affects the rating of opamps.
TLE2144 is bloody decent in MF A200, but it turns into one of many boring chips in my diy A47 3ch headphone amplifier.

@juluska

you're wasting time with some of these "improvements" .

go HERE and read what's problem with preamp stage itself .

you can do same as M. Hennessy , or you can look at this post in our local Serbian forum and make this line stage :

There are very good advices and photo sessions in your local Serbian forum:
www.HiFi-Forumi.com • Pogledaj temu - MF A1 David
unfortunately the losses by translate about google are still to large:
Google Nachricht
http://translate.google.de/translat...m/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7658&hilit=david
independend from the target language I choice

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.