gain, signal transmission, ect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, i've figured out a few features i need for my dorm audio project. mainly that the amp needs to be located on the floor, but the controls need to be located on my desk. i think this will solve my longtime design problem, and allow me to have a more modular crossover.

I wanted to use a balenced transmission between this pre-amp and my amp to keep noise low. i figure everything else that needs to be set (like sensitivity matching and such) can be set from the amp at one time then set only if the room changes.

my main question is how much gain i should use ect...

i don't require the volume go to no output, but i do need to get decently loud at the maximum setting and to low levels at listening volumes.

i guess my question is if i do this, will the crossover accept the higher or lower than normal signal voltages without problem, or will the sonics change (besides loudness) as i increase or decrease volume.

also, on a side note. i am getting one of those Apex JR transformers, 48Vct, 7A (from 120Vac primary). in any case i am also getting a few 50V rated capacitors. it wasn't until today that i questioned this. i hope i will be fine as i don't really have the kinda cash for new caps. i figured the secondaries would be +-24V, but now i'm thinking i may need different caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.