GE Capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some replacement filter caps for a PS Audio 200c. The stock ones are 15000uF 75V Mallorys that appear to be discontinued. The main problem in replacing them is that size is critical. Replacements need to be 2.5" diameter and ideally 3.125" long - although there may be room for something up to 3.5" or so in length.

On tedss I came across some GE caps that would fit, but I can't find any ESR data on them, or any datasheets at all. One possibilty is their 32000uF 23C323G075EE1L1.

Anyone have any experience with GE computer grade caps?

Thanks,
Paul

I would expect a modern capacitor's ESR and ripple current rating to be superior to an older discontinued cap. More than likely it will be an upgrade. If in doubt about a possibly higher turn on surge with a bigger/badder cap, swap out the bridge rectifier with the next higher current unit.

Thanks Ski,

The thing is, I can get ESR specs for other candidates, like Aerovox, Cornell-Dubilier, and other Mallory models. I do expect that any new caps are likely to be better than the twenty year old caps that are in the amp now, but I'd still like to select a good choice for the replacement relative to currently available options. That's the main reason I was asking about GE and others' experience with them (or any documentation on them).

Cheers,
Paul

Does anyone familiar with crown ca850?

I went to Raon last saturday window shopping for a speaker of my qsc gx5 500w stereo. At one store i went in a personel open a box of crown ca850. I was curious about this amplifier because of a crown printed on its face. Its heavy amplifier as i watch a store personel strugling to carry it. I ask the person while he is testing the amp, He said its only php 18,500 with 850w power. I feel sorry not able to discover this amp prior to my gx5. which i bought last december. Im impressed with the looks of this amplifier, it has an lcd infront face like a crown xti series. I can read from the lcd its internal status like temparature and fan...im not sure if it has an onboard crossover and limeter.
I ask another guy from another store about the ca850 if its original from crown, he said that its diferrent from the orignal crown. it was made from another company.
Regarding the speaker i auditioned wharfedale evpx15 and lexus lvp? Since im not a professional how to evaluate the sound quality, i ask the guy giving assisting me about his personal opinion. His choice is Lexus cos of sound quality compared to wharfedale. but he added that wharfedale is much louder. For me i prefer wharfedale if its louder than lexus. thinking that i use this speaker mostly outdoor like street dance and pa..im not sure how many people it can cover. Im thinking twice wether to to buy a wharfedale or lexus or building my own speaker if it can surpass those speakers with similar budget. Hope some one can share a plan for two way or three way speaker. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.